Survivalist Forum banner

357 Magnum Rifle

39K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  Peter 
#1 ·
I received this question off youtube, does anyone have any input or suggestions??

Just wanted your input on a Marlin 1894C Rifle. I was thinking to about buying this rifle(which is chambered in 357 magnum)and using it for a backpacking rifle. I live in South Car Just wanted your input on a Marlin 1894C Rifle. I live in South Carolina and there are no real predators to be afraid of other then the occasional black bear. I have a 357 Rossi revolver but I looking for a great range of distance.
In my opinion, the 357 through a rifle should be good for 100 yard shots on deer and hogs.

The muzzle velocity between a 18.5 inch barrel and a 6 inch barrel:

110 grain bullet:

18.5 inch barrel - 2415 FPS
6 inch barrel - 1682 FPS

So you can gain about 800 FPS with the same bullet by shooting it from a rifle.

In comparison:

357 - 18.5 inch barrel - 158 grain bullet - @1200 FPS

30-30 - 20 inch barrel - 150 grain buillet - @ 2100 FPS

7.62X39 - 18.5 inch barrel - 130 grain bullet - @2100 FPS

When the 357 magnum is fired through a rifle, it is about 800 FPS slower then the 30-30 and 7.62X39.

If the 357 is reduced to a 125 grain bullet, the muzzle velocity increases to @1800 FPS (1700 - 2200) FPS.

All of this data was taken from Speer reloading manual Number 11.

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't give you any tech stuff on them, but I love my 1894C. Funny thing is I bought a Rossi 2" to go with it at the same exact time. Since then I have added a S&W 686 4".

It shoots great, doesn't have a lot of recoil, and holds 10 x .357 round. For under 100 yards it works great for me. Not to mention its really light, as I carry it as a back up rifle while hunting using a 30-06 bolt action.

Oh - it is really fun too - gotta love a lever action.:D

#5 ·
Kev...
1200 fps for a 158 gr. from a .357 revolver sounds about right, from a carbine that figure seems a bit low.
I clock loads with a chronograph and regularly see velocities in the 1700 fps range from a marlin 1894.
Then again maybe I need to slow them down a bit...LOL
Peter

#8 ·
Kev
I dug out my Speer #11 manual and you are right...Thats odd...they are listing velocities that are that low.
Soooo...
I checked the Speer #13 manual and it is more in line with what I getting velocity wise from a Marlin in .357 Magnum...Wonder why the difference...
Peter

#10 · (Edited)
Sometimes. Marlins can be picky about cartridge overall length. For the .357 carbines the Marlin OM gives a minimum required length of 1.400 inches. Many .38 Special loads will meet that requirement, but some do not, especially the older style jacketed semi-wadcutter style bullets.

The Model 92 clones do not seem to suffer from this issue. I had a Rossi that would happily digest .44 Mags, .44 specials and/or .44 Russians.

#11 ·
FWIW...
If you are going to shoot .38's in a .357 chamber it's a good idea to thoroughly clean the chamber before switching back to .357's.

What may happen if you don't, is that the longer .357's case mouth can become wedged into the fouling in the forward portion of the chamber left behind by the shorter .38's.

When the .357 is fired under such conditions the case mouth has no where to expand to and release the bullet. Which often results excessive chamber pressure...
Peter

Reactions: catdaddy
#15 ·
I've always liked the idea of the .357 revolver/rifle idea, but sadly, I never bought the rifle. In evaluating some of my "working" guns, I think a Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel and a Marlin 1894 would be a good combo for the trail and usage around the old homestead.

#17 ·
Kev,

I have had one for about 15 months. They are a handy rifle for about 50-80yards . I have handloaded the hornady 180grn XTP JHP for it and have been getting approx 1600 f/s on the chrony.

This is a great hunting projectile and has been quite effective on small to medium pigs at about 50-80 yards (tops) might be stretching it at 100 yards.

Having a revolver of the same calibre (using the same round) would be a good match up.

cheers

#19 ·
I have a Rossi 92 with a 20in barrel. I normally get 1750 fps with a cast gas checked Lyman 358156 SWC bullet. Groups run about 2in at 100 yard with iron sights. Match that with my 6in S&W 686 L-frame and you have a very versatile, fun and practical combination. The only real limitation is that bullet drop is such that you really don't want to try to go out past 125 yards.

#21 ·
Kev,
The .357 lever action rifles are EXTREMELY popular.
People love them as 'bush' guns and they were fairly popular in the midwest as deer guns.
I love mine, theres always a bigger caliber, but .357 is very affordable and it offers up the option as people always say "to shoot .38 plinking loads".

I reccomend them highly, but keep in mind that the company who produces some of the more affordable pistol caliber carbines Rossi is a contentious one t'boot.

#22 ·
I received this question off youtube, does anyone have any input or suggestions??

In my opinion, the 357 through a rifle should be good for 100 yard shots on deer and hogs.

The muzzle velocity between a 18.5 inch barrel and a 6 inch barrel:

110 grain bullet:

18.5 inch barrel - 2415 FPS
6 inch barrel - 1682 FPS

So you can gain about 800 FPS with the same bullet by shooting it from a rifle.

In comparison:

357 - 18.5 inch barrel - 158 grain bullet - @1200 FPS

30-30 - 20 inch barrel - 150 grain buillet - @ 2100 FPS

7.62X39 - 18.5 inch barrel - 130 grain bullet - @2100 FPS

When the 357 magnum is fired through a rifle, it is about 800 FPS slower then the 30-30 and 7.62X39.

If the 357 is reduced to a 125 grain bullet, the muzzle velocity increases to @1800 FPS (1700 - 2200) FPS.

All of this data was taken from Speer reloading manual Number 11.
I like mine alot, always take it with my Blackhawk. .357 is a good round for me, great for deer and other.

#23 ·
As a backpack rifle its perfect. i've owned one for over 15 years, maybe 20 now, in a "mini guide gun" configuration. Its a pleasure to shoot even at full power loads, goes well with a compact .357 (my version of a trail gun is a .357) is fun for kids to shoot along with 10/22, good size for kids or adults w/o pistol grip, a real keeper. Not a first choice for any hunting, but I keep extra bird shot for small game if needed. Truly versatile. Short sight radius like M-4 so good for old guys with glasses. Do not scope this gun.

#24 ·
Before I got my Marlin lever action, I did a little research like you did. I eventually opted for a lever action saddle carbine in .44 magnum. Down in the area where you live, years ago, a man shot and killed a black bear with a .44 magnum lever action. What is nice is that your .44 magnum can shoot either .44 magnum loads or .44 special loads. Then, if you decide to, you can go with a revolver that shoots the same loads of ammo that your lever action does which makes ammo compatibility for two guns a non-issue. One of the police instructors in my area actually carries a 1911 pistol and swears by his .44 magnum lever action saddle carbine for accuracy, penetration and useful shooting range. So I would also look hard and long at a .44 magnum lever action saddle carbine too if I were you.

#25 ·
The gentleman is asking if the 357 lever gun would have enough energy to stop a bear attack. No. It can kill a bear, but not stop one. I am assuming a 300lb black bear here. Yeah they get bigger, but most are 300lb roughly.

To stop a bear a stout rifle or shotgun should be used. I usually cover several miles a day, so I like the lighter wieght of a 20 gauge.

For basic protection the pistol rifle flat walled cartridge combinations are OK. Pretty much a good combination of this is dead. 41 special / magnum is good, 44 special / magnum is better. 41 cartridge is hard to come by. 44 specials are pretty much non-exsistant unless you reload. A decent amount of folks can not handle a 44 magnum well enough to be accurate at 15-25 yards.

#27 ·
Timberwolf!

They were imported by Action Arms/Springfield Armory and IMI in 1989-1991. A very cool little carbine for the Survivalist, hunter or backpacker. They did not really sell well but I can tell you they are first rate firearms. They were originally intended for LEO patrol cars as they had caliber commonality (38 Special/357 Mag) and they function and handle almost identically to the Rem 870. Capacity is 10 + 1 in either 38 Spl/357 or 44 Spl/44 Mag. In 357 Mag, the energy is similar to 7.62 x 39. Weight is 6 lbs empty! Barrel length is 18.5", which in 44 mag, gives you a whopping 500 fps increase in velocity. It can take care of anything in North America with a single shot.

Although they are a little spendy, they breakdown at the rear of the reciever and have a integral, machined Weaver compatible scope mount that was mostly intended for electronic dot sights. Trigger pull, handling, durability are all excellent. Parts are available online.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=161236162

#28 ·
I've got an 1894CB LTD with the long octagon barrel ... my wife has filed a claim on it actually and tells everyone it is hers.

I like the ballard rifling over the microgroove for cast boolits.

Great rifle imho.

#29 ·
Funny thing, my girlfriend also "aquired" my Marlin 1984c somehow.

But I am just glad that she got into likeing firearms, so I let her keep it.

It actually makes my mind easier that she is able to defend the house in my absence. She would never use my Glock as she thinks it is a evil device.

But with the light recoil of the .357 and the civilian look of the Marlin she is fine. She actually enjoys range trips now and it is slowly developing into a very nice hobby for both of us...

That was also the start to get her into prepping up a little bit. There is truth in the saying that handling firearms develops a sense of responsibility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.