Survivalist Forum banner

Hair straightener to seal mylar....

Tags
mylar bags
10K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  name-old 
#1 ·
I have been really stumped on how I was going to afford a sealer for the mylar bags. Really tight budget considerations. So, just out of curiosity I attempted to seal them with my hair straightener. It worked!!

After I let it sit for a while I tried to open it by pulling it apart but it held up. I use a straightener that goes to 450 degrees. I'm really excited about this discovery and hope it helps you.

#16 ·
Hey!! Im a 30 year old male and I've been doing this for a while!!(gilrfriends hair thingy thank you!) Even bought her a new one to make this the originals sole purpose. Just like hair dryers make great boot dryers. I didnt see the straightner idea in here I just knew thats the way to seal mylar balloons so it made sense. When I looked around the house this little device seemed purpose built.

#18 ·
Periodically clean the "flat iron" ((aka hair straightener thingy))...or let it burn off any mylar residue before it's used again for it's original purpose. :D

...and 5 seconds is too long for me to hold it in one place. I typically clamp / move / clamp / move...then will go over it again as a just-to-be-sure measure.

#19 ·
^^This is the only potential problem I can see occurring. So for any other guys reading this: ASK YOUR WIFE before you use her straightener and get mylar residue on it! If she gets it in her hair she will KILL you.
Survival is not always about preps, sometimes it's about courtesy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.