Survivalist Forum banner

Pump vs Semi-Auto

46K views 74 replies 32 participants last post by  Adapter 
#1 ·
Is this more of a personal preference? Why did you choose one over the other?

I'm just curious if it really matters. I've seen some guys shoot a pump just as quick as a semi-auto but that takes a lot of practice.

Tell me the pro's and con's about both. I was going with a pump but then got to thinking about a semi-auto. This would primarily be for HD.

Your thoughts...

#56 ·
If you know a potentially armed intruder(s) are in your house and you have a 357 revolver, AK-47, or Glock... Do you give away your position and the fact that you are armed by jumping up and down and shouting "I'm standing right here and I have a gun! If you don't run I'm going to shoot you!"

I'm not trying to be a jackass but I've never understood the "rack the slide to scare the bad guy" thing people believe about shotguns. Have you ever heard of people shooting through walls? If you give away your position and the knowledge you are armed... You are inviting an immediate armed response.

If I hear someone racking a shotgun... I'm not going to count on their good graces that if I politely retreat we can all sing koombya and be friends. When that slide begins to rack it is game on... And if you are on the other side of the door or wall... I'd be inclined to put 5-6 rounds in your general direction as quickly as possible.

I do not know why people believe home invaders are shaking in their knickers cowards. My experience has been that they tend to be sociopathic, like violence... And they are stupid... Which doesn't make for a huge comprehension of a sense of their own mortality.

I knew one nutcase in Venice who had a guy take a shot at him when they got in an argument as he was passing the guy's window. He didn't run away. He ran strait at the guy. When I asked him why he didn't run... He looked at me like I was nuts and said "I don't run from anybody". I know it takes away from the magic "chunk chunk" sound when you rack a shotgun... But you are just as likely to lose as win when you rack a shotgun and give away your position

#3 ·
I own several of both. There is zero advantage to a pump action over a semi auto. Some will bring up the issue of reliability, but the fact is you are more likely to short stroke a pump, than you are to have a semi fail to cycle. This is especially true in a self defense situation under duress.

A good example of this is in Trap shooting. Years back you would see shooters with pump action shotguns shooting doubles. Today you don't see one. The reason is because it handicaps you to have to manually cycle an action while taking 2 quick shots. It is very much the same in self defense. I'm not saying a pump is "bad", it is just there is no advantage to one.

They are somewhat cheaper to purchase, with some models like a Mossberg 500 going for around $250.00 at chain sporting goods stores on sale. On the other hand if you go with a proven reliable semi like a Remington 1100 Tactical, or a Benelli M-4, you're going to spend well into 4 digits for it. The newer semi designs like the Benelli M-4 are designed to cycle reliably with a very wide range of ammunition from low brass Trap loads, to the heaviest Magnum buckshot and slug loads.

It is more of an issue of economics, than it is anything else. If your budget will allow for a good semi auto, that is what I would choose. With that said a good, reliable, low cost pump like the Mossberg 500 is not in itself a "bad" choice.

#4 ·
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/58489-55.html

This isn't real expensive. Seems like it would do the trick and a quality brand. ?

I have mixed feelings about the "racking" sound really doing the job in scaring someone away. I've read that is more hype than reality. Also, why would you want to give away your position? Not sure about this one.

In a tense moment I want something I don't have to think about much that can give me the best protection and the quickest second, third shot if needed.

The semi-auto is looking better and better for me but I'm still not 100% sure. My other post was about a pump style because I thought I knew what I wanted but you know how that goes. Guess I could get both! lol Yeah right, wife would kill me.

#5 ·
I have mixed feelings about the "racking" sound really doing the job in scaring someone away. I've read that is more hype than reality. Also, why would you want to give away your position?
+1

Exactly. All of this "racking sound" is nothing more than overplayed Internet hype. If the situation has degraded itself to that point, as you said, why would you want to give away your position? To do so would be foolish, and put you in immediate danger. Besides, why would you wait until that point to chamber a round?

In an in house encounter the homeowner has the advantage in a dark house because he or she knows the layout, the bad guy doesn't. The cover of darkness spells advantage homeowner. Now factor in the "racking sound" and you've not only lost everything, you may have caused him to shoot out of sheer fright if he is armed. In short it makes no sense. The only sound the bad guy should hear is the shot that killed him.

#7 ·
Personal preference/Experience.

Pump pros- Less parts to break, less parts to clean, less parts to oil, cheap.
Pump cons - Easy to short stroke when under stress, slow follow-up shots.

Autoloader pros - Very fast follow up shots, user racks the charging handle and goes to town.
Autoloader cons - More parts to break, clean, oil... expensive.

This post has been deleted
#36 ·
UPDATE:

Well, I believe after deep consideration I'm going with a semi-auto. Have not decided on a particular model yet because I need to check some out in person and get a good feel for them. This will help me narrow it down even more.

Thanks everyone for your advice, it really did help. Feel free to continue to comment. It's all good info. :)

#38 ·
I didnt know about short stroking a pump tell I tried teaching a few new shooters on the basics. We didnt have this problem growing up because I watched many hours of shooting before I was able to handle. There is a certain gusto to a pump shotgun. I didnt know of this tell I tried teaching its use. I'm not calling people sallies but people really need to violently pump that action. To me its one of my favorite sounds.

#39 ·
Let's see. I have a Remington 1100 auto with a fully rifled 22" barrel and rifle sights. Works great with sabot slugs. Then I have the same type barrel and sights on a Winchester 1300 pump. Then I have a Winchester 1300 Defender pump with an 18 1/2 in barrel and factory mag extension. Then I have a Saiga 12 auto.

The dang intruder is going to kill me while I decide which one to grab, LOL. :thumb:

#41 ·
I've always contended that if you train with a pump shotgun or a semiautomatic shotgun then that is the one you should use in times of stress and danger. As long as you have trained with which ever shotgun you want to use then you should be okay with it. I've trained with both types where I live but I prefer a pump for me. I would not hesitate to use a semiautomatic shotgun and I know that I could get the job done with a semiautomatic but I just like a pump better for my uses.

#43 ·
Because there's nothing to debate. Self defense rifle is almost always semi-auto. AR, AK, and so on. Bolts, pumps and levers are for hunting.

I feel the same about shotguns, but obviously not everyone does.

If I didn't own a shotgun, my first one would be a Saiga 12.

#47 ·
Cheap ammo works in pump, maybe not in an auto loader.
Non-Lethal loads, phooey. If it's worth shooting, it's certainly worth killing.
I can jack on into the chamber with one hand and its ready to fire when I acquire my target.
Reacquiring the target is't as much a problem using a Knoxx recoil reducing stock.
Sabots, will be using them before the new year. Getting a rifled barrel before new years day for my mav-88.
With my 835, can hit more targets in a shorter amount of time than most, 10+1 with a quick point.

#48 ·
Cheap ammo works in pump, maybe not in an auto loader.
Who buys cheap ammo or cheap guns when it's bought in case your life depends on it?

And no, you aren't as fast with that pump as you think you are. The auto loader is reloaded faster than you can blink, the fore stock stays solid to help get back on target, and as has already been posted, the auto loaders win in competition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.