Survivalist Forum banner
170K views 81 replies 59 participants last post by  Hud556 
#1 ·
I am interested in buying my first assault weapon. I was considering a Century AK 47 wasr 10. I have heard both good things and bad things about this gun. I know you get what you pay for but some feedback would be helpful. I heard that some gun dealers had this AK for sale with 2 thirty round clips for $369.00 new in box. I have yet to find anyone selling them for much less than $450.00. Also I looked at one that the dealer said was new but it had a 1967 production date on it. Does that effect the reliability of the gun being it is that old??

I was also interested in buying a 75 round barrel for it and I heard that they may not fit properly or may not even fit at all. I also heard even the 30 round clips may give you problems as far as installation. Also what is the pre-ban version and how does it differ from one that is not pre-ban. I would also consider a better weapon if price is not 2-3 times what I can buy this AK for. Thanks for any help!!

#2 ·
I am interested in buying my first assault weapon. I was considering a Century AK 47 wasr 10. I have heard both good things and bad things about this gun. I know you get what you pay for but some feedback would be helpful. I heard that some gun dealers had this AK for sale with 2 thirty round clips for $369.00 new in box. I have yet to find anyone selling them for much less than $450.00. Also I looked at one that the dealer said was new but it had a 1967 production date on it. Does that effect the reliability of the gun being it is that old??

I was also interested in buying a 75 round barrel for it and I heard that they may not fit properly or may not even fit at all. I also heard even the 30 round clips may give you problems as far as installation. Also what is the pre-ban version and how does it differ from one that is not pre-ban. I would also consider a better weapon if price is not 2-3 times what I can buy this AK for. Thanks for any help!!

#3 ·
first of all not an assault weapon, its a semi automatic rifle. dont bother getting the 75 round DRUM they are crap. just get the 30 round MAGS i personaly like the bulgarian ones myself. and i have had the chance to handle a wasr 10 a few years back i liked it, no real problems, now i own a arsenal arms model which i highly value, its really great

#4 ·
They are decent semi auto rifle. Occasionally the magwell, where the magazines go needs a little trimming. If a 30 round mag will fit, usually the 75 round drum magazine will fit. Search around and you will get different oppinions from different people. $400-$500 is what I see as far as price on a regular basis. Sometimes cheaper online, but then you add the FFL fee and you are about the same.

#7 ·
Thanks for saying assault weapon and not assault rifle. Its really neither, but better to say Assault weapon than Assault rifle.

Assault Rifle:
The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[7][8][9]

It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
It must be capable of selective fire;
It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine.
And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assault weapon:

The term assault weapon is a United States political and legal term used to describe a variety of semi-automatic firearms that have certain features generally associated with military assault rifles. The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired on September 13, 2004, codified the definition of an assault weapon. It defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine containing more than 10 rounds, and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Primary pistol grip
Forward grip
Threaded barrel (for a Suppressor, commonly called a silencer)
Barrel shroud

#8 ·
If you have a wasr that shoots straight and reliably, well then......you got you an AK-47. ;)
I have/had many AK's from the humble wasr, to the creme-de-la-creme Polytech Legend, and several in-between, and the two wasr's I've had have been every bit as good a rifle as my Russian Saiga's and Chinese Polytech's. Not as "nice",of course, but shot as straight and reliably.
The wasr's come stock with the G2 trigger group, can't beat that. A re-finish job on the stocks is cheap,easy and fun, and can yield some dynamite results.
Like I said, if you have a wasr that shoots straight and reliably,you pretty much have an AK as good as any other.

#13 ·
One of those are next on my list but i have a MAC 90 on layaway and i have been hitting the remainder as hard as i can, a wasr has worked great for a friend of mine and i do like to shoot that rifle, ya bet ya, it sing's lovely with a china drum. No problem but the mag adjustment then good ta go. If ya can pic one up for a good price i,d do it. Well later this year i will.

#15 ·
I have four drums, 3 75 and 1 100, I've had them for a while and they work great, I'm thinking they're chinese. A couple things to look for are a canted front sight assembly, also look into the action and see if there is metal shavings, might be more noticeable if used.

#17 ·
It's a used rifle. It can be a coin toss. Just make sure not to spend too much on it. If it doesn't perform to your expectations, then you can sell it and not loose money on it if you got a decent deal.

I would avoid the 75 round drums. Best to spend your money on improving the sights or other stuff for the AK. If you find 20 round AK mags, get a few. The reduced weight makes them nicer.

If your handy with working on stuff, get a Saiga and convert it. It's easy to do. Best deal for a good AK out there.

Don't rule out a nice SKS if you see a good price on one. they're my favorite. I like the yugoslavian or russian ones. Chinese work fine too.

#26 ·
Crap!! I just bought one yesterday for $439.00 but it came with a carrying bag, strap, 2 mags, and bayonet. So I guess I overpaid by a little. You know people were saying you could buy these for under $400.00 but I just couldn't find one. Oh well I was a day late, (as usual)!! Thanks though, I will forward this to my buddy who wants one.

#20 ·
it all depends on your specific example.

The wasr is not inherently junk, and the 10/63' s seem to be a little bit better.

The problems are with the builds. Century has garnered a reputation for poor quality control. Canted sights, and loose magazine wells are the main problems with the century wasr. These can cause inaccuracy, or malfunction in extremely loose magazines. Only other issues seem to be cosmetic.

A good wasr will be just as reliable as any other AK.

If you check it out, check for cant, and check for wobble, and check for basic function of the bolt, hammer, and trigger.

If it looks and feels good, then you got a good one. The problems come from sight unseen orders of guns poorly put together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.