Survivalist Forum banner

Ultimate BOV/WROL/SHTF/TEOTWAWKI Vehicle?

11K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  zuren 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
You did see that there were many variants, didn't you? And they have a 2 ton payload? I don't want a giant truck to bug out in. I want something with a decent payload, good fuel economy, that can squeeze through some tight places, and it has to be capable in almost any situation. These vehicles are not the same thing as an M151 military jeep from 30 years ago (when I was in the Army). Spend some time researching. You'll see these are pretty awesome vehicles.

#5 ·
International Scout or the 50's Jeep Kaiser would get my vote. The mid 80's military surplus blazer diesels are also an excellent choice. Affordability is a factor to consider.

#6 ·
First off, from what I've heard those VM diesels (like they put in the 05,06 Liberty) had timing belts...not good for a BOV.

Even though they aren't sold to the public, you could built one easy enough. Get yourself a 4bt Cummins and a Dana 44 for the front and a Dana 60for the rear; put the stuff on your civy Jeep and you got the same thing (except with a much better engine.)

#16 ·
Personal choice for me is M715 pickup. Mfg by Jeep/Kaiser from 67-69, 1.25 ton suspension, looks like a J-series pickup, but with soft top.

On www.M715zone.com very similar site to this one, but all about those trucks.

We've had members put everything from 4bts to 502 caddy motors in those trucks.

Main swaps are sbc motors, newer 1-ton axles (as the old ones are drums only) and upgraded np205 xfer cases.

Downsides? big hoods, heavy trucks (6,000# curb weight), but solid, and with the mods mentioned, very reliable.

Can be bought on ebay for $5000 or so with motor already swapped in, or cheap as $1000 or so in barebones shape.

Also had ambulance body version (own one), downside to metal box is very tall truck.

Short of wheel armored vehicle, which isn't very practical, think small diesel engine, 6 speed tranny, and common parts.

my $ .02

#21 ·
With the correct gearing a 4bt will get 35mpg...shoot, my buddy had a 6bt in his truck, 3.07 gears in his full-size 1 ton 4x4 chevy and got 38 mpg! That was on the highway cruising a 55mph...he got 30 around town.

Also, timing belts can certainly be changed at 75,000 mile intervales; but there are some Dodge Cummins owners that have 500,000 miles or more and have never done anything with their timing chain.

#23 ·
Gear drive would be better than chains...many engines offer that as an aftermarket upgrade, my 6.5TD is over $400 for a timing gear set while the chain is around $100.

Gear drive, most reliable, chain second most, and belt is the least reliable? Or am I completely nuts?

You can certainly offer alternatives...also, what is the price of your BMW engine? Which transmissions while it bolt to? All things to consider.

#24 ·
Common sense would say the timing belt is the worst option, but it outlasted the timing chain in my 6.2 so toss up there.

I bring up the BMW for lots of reasons. You can buy a whole donor for less than $1,000. In most cases less than $500. That already beats out many alternatives. BMW is very good about product support. You can still buy almost every part for this engine. It will bolt to any BMW tranny, auto or manual. If you cannot build an adapter then you can use a divorced transfercase.
It uses a bosch ve pump just like the older cummins 12 valve, 4bt, or the old vw's, so it is a common simple pump with easy to find repair parts. Like I said earlier it is lighter, quieter and more fuel efficient.
A better option yet would be a mercedes for economy, but you will not purchase one nearly as cheap.
For a simple easy swap for someone without many skills that is on a budget get the overlooked 5.7 diesel from the early 80's. It will bolt to any TH tranny. '82-'84 were actually a very good engine. You won't build the HP of torque of the previous two options but you can buy them for $200 or less and they are a dependable engine for up to 200k miles.

I guess I just don't see anyone needing to drive that far after SHTF or there after. 30K miles more than enough get you anywhere on that you can drive to in the western hemisphere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.