Survivalist Forum banner

my 4 year old wants a bow.

5K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Jaystoke 
#1 ·
My 4 year old daughter wants a bow after watching the movie brave about 100 times in 4 days. I'd actually like to get her one but really don't know what to buy.

I don't want to get her a string and stick bow from wall mart but I would like to get her a 16 inch draw bow about 6 to 10 pound pull with decent rubber tip arrows.

has anyone done this for small kids? what did you buy or make for them?

#2 ·
There are tons with 20lb pull which is plenty for her. She is at the perfect age to start as long as she doesn't lose interest. make the targets very big and start her off about 10 feet away. This is what I did at least and it worked well for me. Even if she can't pull the string back very far, she will build up her strength and at first you'll be helping anyway. Great father/daughter or mother/daughter hobby...

Don't go lighter than a 20lb pull because she'll outgrow it so fast your head will spin. Also, be sure to let her "try them on for size". Find one she is comfortable with, especially in weight and hand grip.

#3 ·
If you're looking at a compound, one bow you might check out is the Diamond Atomic. Draw length range from 12-24" and draw weight from 6-29 lbs. Not a real long term bow but plenty until she gets to the size and strength to handle some of the bigger youth bows like the Mission Menace (which is just a bit bigger than you want right now).

#7 ·
good bow

Here you go. This bow should cost like 2 dollars and 30 minutes to make.
The bow in the video is rated at 30 pounds. To lighten it, EITHER use longer pipe, e.g. 5 feet, or use thinner pipe, like 1/2" pipe.

PVC can be adjusted for greater poundage simply by cutting off an inch from the ends, and cutting new nocks. Easy upgrades are also available.

I learned to make my first bow from this video. Made some mistakes, but learned alot.

For a 4 year old, aesthetics means alot, so paint/stain it a wood color, (perhaps imitating Brave), then give it a clear coat gloss. You might also consider making it a horse bow like Brave.

#8 ·
You've got the perfect opportunity to encourage a new sportsman/girl. You can teach her responsibility, and respect for her weapon. I actually kind of envy you.

There's a lot of youth bows available. Take her to a reputable archery shop-I'd recommend Bass Pro Shops, and corral an enthusiastic salesman. She'll get to shoot a few different ones there, and you can pick the salesman's brains.

Dude, you better move fast-who knows what movie she's going to see next?? lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.