Survivalist Forum banner

New File Added: The Underground Walipini Greenhouse

18K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  rc2 
#1 ·
Downloads: A new file has been added by chaosofcreation:

The Underground Walipini Greenhouse

Here is a interesting green house for cold or adverse environments. It keeps the garden safe, warm/cool, and year round in even very hot and cold environments. Enjoy! :D

#3 ·
Great PDF file, only thing that concerned me was high heat areas.
In Washington I have property in Chelan, which if any of you have
been there is pretty much a desert, keeping the interior cool enough
for plant life, and properly watered ont top of that might pose a
challenge. for decidous regions though this idea is superb!

#4 ·
Study of Walpini Greenhouse Model

Thanks for bringing this style of garden to light. I am now researching various underground gardens for food production, for many reasons: extending the growing season, eliminating genetic drift of GMO crops into organic fields, maintaining purity of pre-hybrid heirloom varieties of food that contain resilient DNA characteristics, plus having the vision of 4 season cropping to maintain local, fresh food supplies, and decentralizing food production, which I believe is physically and philosophically valuable in maintaining self-sufficiency and self reliance. Thanks again

#6 ·
I've been thinking about this for awhile. I've thought about raising tilapia in it along with plants and not having to worry about the temp variations. I was watching the History channel one day and they were talking about how you put pigs in greenhouses during the winter with straw on the floor and as the pigs waste composts in the straw it creates heat which in turn heats the greenhouse.

Might be something else to think about.

#17 ·
Does anyone have a link to the pdf that's NOT on this site? I'm never able to download anything from here - it always tells me to slow down, that I'm trying to download files too quickly and have to wait (but I'm not downloading anything), and then tells me I've exceeded my daily download limit (again, I didn't download anything).

#21 ·
Walipini and temp control.

I would think that anyone could control the temp in these units pretty easy, as long as you are able to get to the top layer of plastic. You could prepare something ahead of time by buying a tarp the same width as the Walipini and mount it on a system where you could unroll some of it and use it to cover the top of the Walipini. This would allow you to restrict the amount of sunlight that enters the Walipini and thereby restrict the amount of heat that is generated.

I would also change the angle of the roof, to correlate to the angle the sun is at during the winter months. This would also help decrease the over-exposure, and over-heating from the sun, during the summer.

#23 ·
I had seen this article http://www.treehugger.com/green-architecture/build-underground-greenhouse-garden-year-round.html on them a few days back, and have been looking for the details on building one, but there isn't much on the topic. Thank you so much for uploading, and Animal03901 for bumping this up. :)
There are a number of designs in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...enhouse+book&rh=i:aps,k:solar+greenhouse+book

The best idea coming out of this book is to insulate all but the south windows. Then there is the idea to install some type of folding cover to insulate the window(s) at night. Excellent topic.

Oh, your link has winter solstice at 90 degrees. Much lower here.

#31 ·
My major problem with pig manure is the incredible smell. Horse manure is less smelly and should have greater heat value. When I was in Williamsburg during a really cold- 15 degrees, January about 12 years ago, they were heating cold frames with horse manure. Then dug down about 2', put over 1' of horse manure in the hole, and placed topsoil on it. A simple window cover (glass) kept internal temps at 45 or above. celery was growing well in the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.