Survivalist Forum banner

OM10 filters

31K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  calebjor 
#1 ·
Well I bought a few of the masks the other day for my family and started looking into picking up extra filter but IM kind of having trouble finding them anywhere

Any ideas or links to where I might be able top find them?

#8 ·
I need to yield to Lowdown3 on this one but I believe the M10 mask was a close copy of the US M17 cheek filter mask. The eastern block made these masks just a hair off of the US mask so they could use our filters but we could not use theirs. The biggest problem with the Mask is you have to remove it from your head to change the two filters inside the cheeks of the mask.

#9 ·
that can be a problem. i would suggest if you use these masks, to also have a few rolls of duct tape and a roll of plastic sheeting to cover the windows and doors of your house. these masks aren't meant for long term. you need to take it off to change filters, and you need a safe place to do that.

#10 ·
This mask is ok. Like other posters said you need to take it off to change filters. The cheek filters for the m10 do not last as long as 40mm nato so I would suggest you not use the mask long term. Short excursions outside around chemicals and smoke will probably be ideal.

If you want long lasting you can pickup the isreali for about 15 bux as CTD. It uses Nato canisters that are more readily available than cheek.

P.S. Do not think this mask will save you completely from NBC. With higher levels of chemicals, biological agents and radiation the safety life of the filters decrease. But the chances of biological or nuclear warfare are slim and your choice on mask will probably suit your intentions. Keep in mind if your using the mask the filters are good for three hours of use and will degrade while out of their airtight packages. (throwaway after one use)

-Cade

#11 ·
What gases does this M10 mask protect the wearer from? In the event of an nuclear attack, if the blast or the radiation doesn't get you, then the gas attack that will follow will because most gas mask filters sold today are not effective against the nerve agents and if they are, they are only good for a few hours. If they were effective against nerve agents, how would one change the filters before the gas decipates. Decipation times depends on type gas, how deployed, amount deployed, weather conditions, wind conditions, terrain etc. I have the latest M17 masks and many extra filters. They will come in handy if we survive the nuclear blast and if we do, we must contend with the radioactive fallout. Survival after a nuclear attack followed by chemical attacks will be next to impossible for the average civilian. I suggest you have a short chat with your civil defense representative, your survival plan should include using their resources to augment your survival plan. Note: Augment; to add to your plan, not be part of your plan. In other words be able to survive without their resorces.

#12 ·
Don't trust that mask!!!!!!! It's old and the filters are all surplussed and outdated!!! Most Eastern European cold war surplus is JUNK, also many outdated filters contain chromium so using the mask could be more toxic than what you're being exposed to.

At the minimum get an Israeli M15 and some new Micronial Safety, Scott or MSA filters.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MLT9110-1.html

Do you really trust YOUR LIFE to something a Eastern European country finally deemed as ineffective junk? Really we're talking about cold war surplus from countries that didn't really care about or have the best safety records for their soldiers when it comes to their equipment.

#14 ·
I'm new here, but I do know about the Czech M-10 and M-10-M Masks. (this, by the way, is the correct designators for these masks).
The M-10 is the older version and does not provide for drinking (like our old M17) while the M-10-M does and also incorporates a better speech diaphragm.
As noted, this is a rather close copy of our M17 and M17A1 mask. There are also versions made by Poland and Bulgaria, but those are a bit more difficult to find.
There is some speculation that these were produced specifically for internal security troops and border guards, while the general run of the mill soldiers got either a Russian-inspired Aardvark mask or a rather generic canister filter type. I cannot confirm this to be true or not, but it is a known fact that the East Germans bought this mask for their Border Troops only.
All of these masks are thoroughly expired and outdated as are all available filters. I have it on good authority one can use M17 filters provided one also uses the M17 snap on exterior caps in place of the original issue ones.

Personally, I'd rather not own an M17 inspired mask for ABC protection regardless of vintage. I know the shortcomings of this design intimately and how very wanting it is. The Israeli M15, Korean K1, US M40, British S10 among others are much better choices IMHO.

That being said, this mask with these filters is probably one of the better surplus choices for particulate and dust protection during, say, construction or clean up operations. The M17 style balances well and allows decent forward and down vision to avoid trip/falls. I know the M17 had provisions for eyeglass inserts (one of the few masks that has, ever) but I don't know if the M-10 series have these as well.
Changing filters requires both a clean area and ten-fifteen minutes of time, along with a child size set of hands and some patience.

#16 · (Edited)
QUOTE: Personally, I'd rather not own an M17 inspired mask for ABC protection regardless of vintage. I know the shortcomings of this design intimately and how very wanting it is.

The US Military has over 2 million M17A2 protective mask, either in service or in storage, in case of a possible attack and you say they are not any good and to use a foreign product. First I would like to inform you that the majority of the protective mask produced today have been tested by our chemical warfare folks and have proven our mask, the M17, M17A1, and M17A2, the most effective against the nerve agents and other gases. I was part of the initial M17 tests that included test with VX and other nerve agents. Must be a pretty good mask, I'm still here 52 years after the testing was completed.
Have you notified the Army's Chemical Warfare branch of the shortcomings you have found in the M17 mask. I too, along with other owners of the mask, would like to know what these shortcomings are. Our lives might depend on the use of the M17.
The M17 was replaced in the late 90's with the M40 mask.
Both of these mask are to be replaced by the XM50 that will be produced in England. There are no plans to allow this mask to be released for civilian use.

#17 ·
Chuck, the M17 was a good piece of gear 20+ years ago. The last of these masks were produced in the 80's. Even the newest ones are well past expiration and new in-date filters are made of unobtainium. I've seen lots of M17's out there with cracks in the face pieces, rotten head harnesses, leaking eye pieces or eye pieces that are beginning to go yellow and crazed.
A lot of this has to do with how the mask has been stored, of course, but the fact is most of the M17s one encounters "in the wild" are just plain worn out (as are many, many other mask types as well, the M17 is just the one we are speaking about here)
Leaving age and filter availability aside for a bit, The M17 is something of a pain to change the filters in, requiring the complete removal of the mask and disassembly of the interior of the mask to access the filters. The filters are retained by a pair of very small "buttons" that hold the rubber closed over the filter. I've seen the holes for these buttons elongated out and even torn out completely. The filter protrudes through the hole in the side of the mask and requires some force to snap the exterior retainer on. Then one must reassemble the mask and replace it.

I don't doubt that the army has millions of masks in storage. Heck, they even issued M17 masks to dependents up near the DMZ in Korea in 99-2000. Operating on the theory that any mask is better than no mask, this makes a good point.
My point is, however good the M17/M17A1 was in it's day, that day has passed. Please note I did NOT recommend this mask for any kind of ABC/CBRN protection, only as a really glorified dust mask or MAYBE (and that a qualified maybe) for CS gas. Also please note I did point out some nice features like vision and the ability to wear corrective lenses.

Incidentally, if you are aware of filters for the M17 series that are rated for Ammonia, I'd like to know about them. I know that the M13A1 filter type is not rated for ammonia exposure, and I believe that they do not stop chlorine either, although I need to check that.

My overall point is that the M17 series and copies thereof, although cutting edge 20+ years ago, have been surpassed by the newer designs such as the M40 and MCU-2/P mask. These masks, and some foreign masks like the Korean K1, the British S10, and the Israeli M15 to name a few, eclipse the older M17 design in several areas, including filter design and availability, weight, ease of maintenance and comfort.
If you have a good, solid M17A1 with good, in-date M13A2 filters you certainly aren't unprotected; far from it. (I'm not sure there are any in-date M13A2 filters left, as the last manufacture date I've seen was the late 90's).

The Czech M10M needs to be regarded as a great full face dust mask for working in the shop or yard or in areas where there is mold or other irritants. As a CBRN mask, it fails.

#18 ·
I am no genius on these masks.

However, I was trained with these in the military. I have 3 of my own with extra filters. It only takes me 3 minutes to change out both filters. Yes, I timed myself and this after being out of the military for 20 yrs. I must have been trained well.

If you order these, ALWAYS check the mask over 100%. Make sure the eye pieces are sealed. Clean the inside out w/ bacterial wipes. Some do come with a drink tube. Check the flaps over the filters. Make sure the filter screws are not damaged and screw on easily.
Make sure when you don your mask, you know how to properly pull and tighten around your head. Make sure you know how to clear your mask properly. If you have, cover your cheek filters from the outside. If you can't breath, you've done it correctly. If you can still breath (even if having to take hard deep breathes, you've not done it wrong).

And as always, the key word here is PRACTICE!

#19 ·
Go for the NATO Filter

Ditch the M10, if for no other reason than logistics. If cash is a problem get an Israeli for five bucks more. The NATO filters are ubiquitous. Belgiums aren't that much more than the Israelis and have the filter on the side so shooting isn't so much of an issue( should you decide to go hunting). There is also a lot more room for glasses. I took the ear pieces off and, using a wire "twistee" around the nose bridge, wired them into the mask.

#21 ·
Food for thought. The world is no safer today than it was during the cold war and the threat of nuclear war is still very much there. Why do we not hear anything about Civil Defense (Federal Emergency Management Agency) like we did in the cold war days. No pressure to prepare for a would war, no pressure to build bomb shelters etc. The average youngster has never heard of Civil Defense (Federal Emergency Management Agency)unless he studied it in a modern history class from the dawn of Sputnick (1957) to the mid 80's. Call your county or state civil defense director and ask about the programs offered.

#24 ·
Ok i know this is an old thread but i figured i would post here and give an alternative to trying to locate the old OM10 filters which are even more difficult to find now. I have two of the OM10 masks and the easiest way to replace the filters is to buy the M13A2 filters for the M17 masks. Now the valves do not line up as the OM10 is a threaded valve cap that actually threads into the filter itself while the M17 is a pressure fit filter to the valve on the mask. The good news is that the M17 valves OD is a slightly over the ID of the masks valve cutout for the OM10. In short buy replacement M17 valves, pop them into the OM10 mask and vala you have yourself an OM10 that will take M17 filters. I picked up 2 boxes of M17 filters for dirt cheap (30.00 a box of 10 i think) still serviceable. Another side note of the M13A2 filters being smaller than the OM10 filters is that they are 100 times easier to get into the mask for replacement, no need to stretch and work the filter into the mask like you to the OM10. You drop and snap, your ready to roll. I have successfully been able to replace my cheek filters closed eyes and holding my breath in 1 min flat with a little practice.

Before anyone says "well you need to take your mask off and if your going against blister agents it doesn't help" while true yes if the mask was made of Hycar it would be a downfall but since the OM10 is made of silicon rubber blister agents are going to burn through it like water on tissue paper so your SOL on that standing anyway. Not to mention OM10s do not have second skins like the M17 masks to protect against blister agents.

I picked up my M17 inlet valves here http://m17mask.com/
M13A2 filters are being sold in 10 pack boxes here http://www.popernack.com/shop/shop.php?&aID=20&xID=1870

The OM10 and M17 is a good grab and go riot or general purpose gas mask but against blister agents (mustard gas, etc) go with a Hycar mask instead or get an M17 with a second skin (id recommend an M40 with second skin more so as thats when the 40mm cans were used). Take note though if your going against blister agents your going to need a CNBR suite anyway so you get caught in that stuff without enough time to throw on all your MOP gear your screwed anyway, also hope you have a decon station setup afterwords otherwise you still will have exposure and still screwed.

#26 ·
You are correct actually. For some reason I thought the M17 had a second skin as well as the M40s but I was mistaken, thanks for the correction.

On the serviceable filters, that I am still working on trying to cipher the various numbers on the box to find out if any of the ones I have are serviceable. Once i have a pinned down answer i will for sure to let you guys know.

#28 ·
Active charcoal and Chromium are two completely different elements. Active charcoal when exposed to air and normal elements will degrade over time but is not toxic. Chromium on the other hand is. The C2 cans used a chromium VI mesh in to help filter out various nasty stuff from making it through such as radioactive isotopes. An expired C2 filter (10-12 years from manufacture date) is considered toxic due to the brake down of the chromium VI mesh that your at risk of breathing in. This why the US Army switched to the C2A1 filters which does not have the chromium VI in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.