Survivalist Forum banner

muzzleloader question

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  FredLee 
#1 ·
I would like to get into Muzzleloading but I have been looking at some prices and the bullet seems pretty spendy at around $20 for 20 shots. I have seen ball rounds for about $18 for 100. My Question is this, can I shoot a Sphere ball round from a modern rifled muzzleloader?

I am a total amateur at muzzleloading so sorry if this question is completely absurd.

#3 ·
I have a CVA Wolf...I use a .490 hornady ball behind a patch and 55 grains of Triple 7 FFG powder. This load is excellent for turkey and small game and is very accurate out to 75 yards. No, you cannot use it to take deer. Deer are best using heavy projectiles.

#5 ·
Pistol bullets will average around $20.00 per hundred. Then the cost of the sleves.
Question how many shots are you plannig got shoot?
With black powder one rarely shots more than a couple or rounds even when doing target practice 10 to 20 at most. not a spray and pray method.
Really expensive shooting but given that ones shoots so few rounds not a hole in the pocket thing.

#6 ·
First off do the research on the barrel twist rate for the gun you want to buy. Most in-line guns have a faster twist and dont shoot patch & balls very well or at all. I have two (traditional) T/C Hawkins cap locks. They can shoot anything, but I forget the twist rate off hand. Once you decide if you want a traditional rifle or an in-line that will dictate alot on what your gun will shoot. I shoot patch & ball at the range and killed my first deer with the mzl with a ball. I now shoot sabots for hunting purposes for a little better accuracy (= more humane kills). Everything else is the same except the "bullet". Modern in-lines cost more to shoot but the accuracy (and cost) is the same as shooting sabot slugs from a shotgun, and really not much different. I shoot traditional because of the history. New in-lines dont offer anything different than using a centerfire rifle or shotgun. If you want the true experience of muzzleloader shooting and hunting go traditional!

Huckster

#8 ·
The dollar a round variety sound like high performance hunting loads with a sabot type wad.
If you are just into a little fun shooting and not hard core hunting get a Sidelock type rifle and a mold and cast your own bullets like FredLee said.
I have a couple revolvers and a rifle and that's how I do it.
Those sabot rounds are specialty rounds for a quick humane kill.
The round ball prices depend on caliber.
Cabelas has .50 ball for 16.99 for 100.
Lee precision has double cavity molds for about $40.

#9 ·
yeah i was thinking more of the modern inline variety of muzzleloader. im a poor college student and i saw the CVA buckhorn and just started to price stuff out. i know that you cant go to the range and send the amount of rounds downrange like you can with a non black powder gun, but if you can shoot ball rounds out of an inline I might have to go pick one up.

#10 ·
My barrel twist is 1-28...made for sabots, BUT I am experienced and know what I'm doing. It IS possible to shoot balls through a twist of this nature if the charge is kept reduced, that is why I listed a reduced charge. Of course, one would have to play a bit to see what works for them.

#11 ·
If its an inline,you can buy a maxi-ball mold,and shoot black powder or pyrodex,and use no11 caps.The cost still would be way less than saboted pistol bullets/compressed pellets/shotgun primers.The latter is covenient,and maybe faster to reload,but heck,if you are just plinking.

#12 ·
Let me stutter step this one. When I got into BP, it was with a CVA Buckhorn. Plain Jane and I like it. Memory doesn't serve, but it's a 1-in-fast twist....I think 24.....anyhoo, ammo cost ....I cast my own anyway, and the Lee mold cost chump change. Casting is a most gratifying pursuit.
My other honey is a Lyman Plains Rifle, in .50. Yup, cast for it, too.
In the end, what are you up to with the BP? Hunting, plinking, (LOL) defense? RB is cheaper per ball but the patch takes up that slack pretty quick.
I get a kick out of folks talking about the ULTIMATE survival arm and then jawbone cartridge arms. A good flinter...run your own ball and powder. What else do ya need?

#14 ·
No oil! Black powder will absorb oil from the bore,and affects ignition.Oil is only for storage.Swab your bore if ole Betsy is gonna sit a while.
That Lyman Plains rifle is a nice rifle to have.My only side lock is a T/C New Englander.It is a nice,very simple,very clean rifle,and pretty accurate.I trust it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.