Survivalist Forum banner

Glock 26 gen 3 or gen 4???

58K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  kenstar 
#1 ·
I'm fully ready to purchase a new Glock 26 but am having trouble deciding between the gen 3 or gen 4. I hope that putting each in my hand on the same day will help me decide but what if it doesn't? The gen 3 is $505 and the gen 4 is $535 so the price is too close to really make a difference. What I don't want to do is get the gen 3 only to find out the 4 is the best one. It's like getting a 2011 Chevy truck only to find out the 2012 costs the same and performs better. Or getting the 2012 that hasn't had a chance to get all the bugs worked out of it. So all you Glock geeks out there please give me your two cents. Thanks!!

#3 ·
The gen 3 is a sure thing. I'm in the market also for a Glock 26, and was following the threads over at 'GlockTalk'.

There have been issues with the gen 4's in the G-17's and G-19's, but the gen 4 G-26's seem to to be fine.

The gen 3 g26 always had the dual-recoil spring, so for the gen 4 g26, it was no big deal.

The gen 4 g17 and g19 have adopted the the dual-recoil spring, whereas the gen 3 g17 and g 19 had the single recoil springs. My take is that the new glocks worked fine with the hotter, european 9mm, where American 9mm is loaded weaker (Fed american eagle, win. usa, ect) causing functioning problems.

It been a few weeks since I check up on this, but the word was that Glock had resolved this issue and was replacing the spring assembles.

Got off-topic- the gen 4 would fit a smaller hand better, with the adjustable back strap.

#4 ·
Thanks! I visited "glock talk" and found someuseful information. Whats funny is that you would assume a forum only about glocks would have more info than this website but its been just the opposite. I'm going to probably end up deciding when I can hold both in my hands on the same day. Right now I'm leaning a little more toward the Gen4.

#5 ·
The only difference you will notice between Gen3/4 is the grip and trigger. I have both, and prefer my Gen3. The gen4 trigger pull is more consistent through the pull, but my gen3 is a lighter pull. I would try out both and if the gen3 is as comfortable as 4, go with the gen3.

If you are left handed, go with Gen4 so you can swap the mag release over.

#7 ·
Brown Foot, at glocktalk, did you go to the 'General Glocking' section, last time I was there, seemed like every 3rd thread was on the Gen 4. Those guys are hardcore glock fanatices. May need to do a search or review the threads back a couple a monthes.

The trigger pull difference between the gen 3 and gen 4 was/is true. One of the larger agencies complained about it and Glock came out with a new connector, I think it is a 5.0 (labels on the boxes are marked), which made the trigger pull equal to the gen 3's 5.5 conector.

#8 ·
Gen 3

The only reason I like Glocks is the reliability thing: "Will ALWAYS go bang"

I'm not messing with the Gen 4's until they've been around 10-20 years :D:

Note:

I always put the same parts into my Glocks when I buy them:
Grip Plug
3.5 pound trigger connector
stainless steel recoil spring
extended slide stop

-- This makes them shoot nice and smooth, stock feels kind of "gritty" to me now

#9 ·
from what I have read the issues with the gen4's have all been on the larger models...not the 26. especially since the gen 3 26 has already incorporated the dual recoil spring. but i think grevlin has a point too...i want to make sure this sucker always "goes bang".

#10 ·
The gen 4 has two issues. One is the spring which Glock is replacing, if you get a gen 4, make sure it has the 04 spring installed. This involved shooting lower powered practice ammo and I think it was either UMC or Federal that was causing the problems.

The other issue is that the grip has been changed to include what feels like very sharp nails sticking out of it when firing +p. I fixed mine with a dreml tool by shaving them off.

You can also solve that by buying a Hogue grip sleeve and covering it or just buying the appropiately sized bicycle inner tube and cutting a piece to slide over the grip (I did that anyways with my G19 Gen 3)

The two backstraps don't really make that much difference, the G19 was already one of the most sold guns in America.

#11 ·
The gen 4 has two issues. One is the spring which Glock is replacing, if you get a gen 4, make sure it has the 04 spring installed. This involved shooting lower powered practice ammo and I think it was either UMC or Federal that was causing the problems.

The other issue is that the grip has been changed to include what feels like very sharp nails sticking out of it when firing +p. I fixed mine with a dreml tool by shaving them off.

You can also solve that by buying a Hogue grip sleeve and covering it or just buying the appropiately sized bicycle inner tube and cutting a piece to slide over the grip (I did that anyways with my G19 Gen 3)

The two backstraps don't really make that much difference, the G19 was already one of the most sold guns in America and really, it was kind of gimicky on Gaston Glock's part.

Besides inventing a great pistol, being 80 years old and surviving an assassination attempt, he has a smoking hot wife

you gotta love success

#13 ·
You can't go wrong with either. The 19 and 17 Gen 4's were the models with the RSA issue. The G26 has had a double coil RSA all along. So, you'd be safe with a Gen 4. I really like the secure feel in the sweaty hand that you get from a Gen 4.

Even IF you were to have an issue with a Gen 4, rest assured that Glock will stand by it's product.

#14 ·
I'm picking up a Gen 4 G26 as soon as I stop flip flopping between that and another toy carbine. Anyways its most likely a few weeks out as layoff turns me into the range nut. In my case I can't get my girlfriend to shoot my Gen3 G17 as she doesn't get a good grip(which to me is gawd of the combat sidearm). We went through the G26 and Gen3/Gen4 on grip. The difference between the gens really makes me understand throwing numbers on ergonomics doesn't work. Gen4 while I like it alittle bit better is glaring to her a superior arm.

#21 ·
I understand that the generation four Glocks supposedly fix the generation threes problems. From my experience I have never had a problem with Glocks that were not shooter induced. And this is after tens of thousands of rounds over a decade of shooting. I recently purchased a Gen 3 G19 although I could have gotten the new version. It still goes bang everytime

#25 ·
Generation 3 didn't have any issues. In fact, in my humble opinion, Gen 2 and 3 Glocks are the best of the breed. It was Gen 4 that had issues (recoil spring too stiff for lighter loads) in the G17 and G19. You have nothing to worry about with your Gen 3 19. It will continue to "go bang everytime." :thumb:

Reactions: MonsterMash
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.