Survivalist Forum banner

2001 Chevy Blazer: 4x4 won't work

5K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  KSTom09 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place for this.

When I first got the vehicle in 2007 the 4wd went out a few months after I got it. Fortunately, all I had to do was replace the switch panel for around $20. Maybe a year later, the 4wd stopped working again. So, I replaced the switch panel once again, but it didn't work. It won't come out of 4HI and the ABS light is on. I had a relative look at it back then and they mumbled something about a $500 computer part needing to be replaced. I know little to nothing about vehicles. Can anyone tell me what "computer part" this might be and if there is a cheaper alternative?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I really love 4x4s with manual shift linkage :D:

Kind of sounds like the Transfer case shifter comp is bad. I would also go back and make sure the switch is good - if it needed to be replaced once, it might need it again. Check all connections between the switch and transfer case because sometimes they get pulled apart if you offroad.

#3 ·
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com Try out this forum. I have a 2003 tahoe that had the same problem. The guys on this site are great. Plenty of free or cheap modifications with instructions you can do too. I've added a 2nd battery, put in HID lights, and a pcm upgrade for performance. Anyway, it depends on what error code it's throwing in order to know what part to replace. Mine was the encoder motor which is located at the transfer case. It cost me about $300. Good Luck!

#5 ·
Might it be cheaper to convert it to manual linkage? I don't know if that's even possible, but it's sure a lot more reliable. I won't have one that isn't manual linkage and manual hubs.

Despite everyone screaming about how reliable technology is, it has always let me down at the most inopportune moments. Especially vehicle electronics.

#7 ·
Been in transmissions 36 yrs. If you're into not wasting money and this applies to any electrically shifter T-case. Unbolt the "encoder motor" meaning the shift motor, and spray it liberally around the shaft area with a PB Blaster type product. Give it a good solid ground and work the selector. If it moves, good. Now wheels off the ground, trans in neutral, engine off for now, spin the shifter shaft going into the T-case. It'll spin back and forth about 270 degrees, or 3/4 of a full revolution. Oh spray the heck out of that also.

A very common problem is the push button T-case motor and/or shaft will sieze if not used once in awhile. Good luck. Feel free to call me anytime 910-426-8899.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.