Survivalist Forum banner

Best place to buy bulk salt

88K views 105 replies 66 participants last post by  swamppapa 
#1 ·
I'm researching the best place to buy bulk salt. So far the best I've found is:

http://www.saltworks.us/

If I buy in bulk (50 or 55# bag) these are the prices (per #) for what I am considering:

Grey sea salt (3.75)
Sonoma (1.12)
New Zealand (1.45)

Is there any place better I did not find?

Also as far as long term storage, aside from keeping it dry its there anything to worry about with salt? I would assume temperature doesn't matter, but is it something pest/varmint would try to get into?

#8 ·
This. It was actually $3.75 for a 25lb bag here. I bought about 4 bags. Can't beat it.

#7 ·
I'm researching the best place to buy bulk salt. So far the best I've found is:

http://www.saltworks.us/

If I buy in bulk (50 or 55# bag) these are the prices (per #) for what I am considering:

Grey sea salt (3.75)
Sonoma (1.12)
New Zealand (1.45)

Is there any place better I did not find?

Also as far as long term storage, aside from keeping it dry its there anything to worry about with salt? I would assume temperature doesn't matter, but is it something pest/varmint would try to get into?
I've think you've found as good a place as any. I've purchased from them in the past. I have about 25lbs of various flavors of sea salt on hand.

#14 ·
I buy the water softner salt at Home Depot when it goes on sale. I think I spent $3.00 for a 40 pound bag, the handle was ripped. It's generally pretty inexpensive, though, and since it's for water softners, it's food grade.

To be honest, I've also seen sidewalk or road salt on sale in spring that's up to edible standards- 100% Sodium Chloride, it's salt.

I also have a 40 pound bag of the more expensive water softner salt, the Potassium Chloride. I think it runs about $45 for it, but if you know anyone on hypertension medication, you can substitute half or slightly more than half of the salt they eat with the potassium chloride and it'll do wonders for them- which is not such a bad thing to have on hand if their blood pressure medication isn't around anymore.

I've also gotten a few bags of the stuff for free at my local household hazardous waste depot. There's a spot they put things that aren't really hazardous waste people drop off, so I've gotten salt there, as well as a bunch of useful things- most my stored sterno, lamp oil, and other things like that have come from there, as well as lots of paints. so if you have one of those nearby check it out in case you can load up on a bunch of salt for free.

#18 ·
I also have a 40 pound bag of the more expensive water softner salt, the Potassium Chloride. I think it runs about $45 for it, but if you know anyone on hypertension medication, you can substitute half or slightly more than half of the salt they eat with the potassium chloride and it'll do wonders for them- which is not such a bad thing to have on hand if their blood pressure medication isn't around anymore.
Potassium chloride will not do much for anyone who is not salt-sensitive, hypertensive or not, but it is a vital component in making up electrolyte solutions, which will be literal lifesavers in a PSHTF world.

That "salt=high blood pressure" stuff is a hold-over from the 1950s. Relatively few people are truly sensitive to salt in their diet.

#16 ·
It's ok, Opie. Adding to zombie threads is encouraged if the response adds to the overall topic material. As long as the poster realizes the older posters likely won't respond anymore, then it's just adding to a relevant topic instead of starting a redundant one. It may even get the conversation started anew.

#22 ·
To clear up any confusion in this thread...I've always been under the impression that one doesn't use oxygen absorbers in salt. I've dumped salt into 1 gallon mylar bags (I can fit 3 of those in a 5 gallon pail) until the bag is full. I seal up the bags, put them in a bucket and walk away.

There is not anything in salt to make it go bad; therefore, no need for the oxygen absorbers. Anyway, I've heard putting those in would make it hard. I have no interest in working it with it to get it back into an easily usable state.

#23 ·
50lb blocks of salt are around 6-8 bucks. You can stack them easily, and you can get a variety of types that are infused with other minerals. The brown ones have trace minerals, the yellow ones have added sulphur, the white are non-iodized, the blue ones have potassium, the tan ones are iodized... there are a ton of them out there.

#25 ·
Please remember that the comment made about using O2 packs was made over 5 years ago. We know better now.

True, you don't use O2 packs but you might find that desiccant packs to be of use in this particular case.

#32 ·
Old thread but..

If anyone is interested you can get the grey French sea salt from bulk foods.com. They also have very reasonable priced on spices. We order once a year for our sausage seasonings. They have a selection of candy that is unreal. Stuff you just can't find anymore. I can't place an order without at least $50 worth.

#34 ·
Depends where you live and what kind of access you have to other ways to preserve foods.

Salt seems abundant and easy to find in the modern world but the fact is that it is rather rare in most regions of the nation once you leave to coastal areas.

#38 ·
I'm sure it's been mentioned multiple times in this thread so far, but I'm going to do it again anyway. Sugar and salt don't need "preserving". They ARE preservatives. All they need is kept dry, and bugs kept out of the sugar. An O2 absorber will turn them into a rock and does not make them last longer. They last pretty much forever on their own. If you're in a humid area, desiccant might be handy. Otherwise, just a nice airtight container.

#41 ·
Rock salt is a "dirty" salt. It has impurities and possibly contaminants in the salt that you would not want in your food. While many of the impurities might not be a problem for us, rock salt contains sediment, i.e. sand, rocks, grit, that is not only unappealing to eat, could damage teeth or the equipment in your kitchen. Lead has also been found in small amounts in rock salt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.