Survivalist Forum banner

buckshot reloading

58K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  wtr100 
#1 ·
does anyone reload 12 gauge #00 buckshot loads? I have AA shells i want to reload with my Lee Load All 2. I am looking for the best wad and powder to use so if you have any recipes that work good please let me know....Also intrested in slug reloading....

#6 ·
Sorry I don't reload slugs

I use the IMR 4756 on 12ga and IMR 7625 on 20ga

I can't tell you the grains of powder right off hand, I use universal charge bars and they've been adjusted to the same since back in the 80's

They are comparable to 3 3/4 dram eq. as best as I can tell. All I do is change my shot size.

I always throw the same powder charge and always 1 1/4oz loads.

I'll see if I have it written down somewhere and report back to you!

#9 ·
I've loaded 00 buckshot in Win AA hulls(old red) and in Remington Nitro 27 hulls, all tapered and 2-3/4". I just used birdshot load data for a one ounce shot charge using 8 00 pellets, each 00 buck pellet weighs 1/8 ounce. Some did OK and the rest did not.
I've since decided to use 0 buck or 1 buck for my 12 gauge buckshot loads since those pellets fit better in a tapered hull.
There is buckshot data but, buck for bird conversions can work quite well for anyone without any danger or difficulty, just keep the pellet weight confirmed when converting from birdshot to buckshot. 1-1/8 ounce of birdshot will work for 1-1/8 ounces of buckshot whatever pellet size. You can use a slightly lighter buckshot weight with a higher birdshot weight recipe such as a 1-1/4 ounce birdshot recipe can be used for 1-1/8 ounces of buckshot, no worries. BUT, never ever do it the other way, a higher weight of shot with a lower weight recipe can be disastrous.
You still MUST find the load that performs best for YOU. Other peoples "best" load is rarely best for your shooting whatever it is.
For powders I use Alliant powders mostly and some Hodgdon with a few where it works well. Have to test to find out what is best.

#12 ·
this is what I use

Shell: 2 3/4" REMINGTON STS, NITRO 27, OR GUN CLUB PLASTIC SHELLS

Load Type Gauge Shot Wt. Powder Primer Wad Powder Wt. (Gr.) Pressure Vel. (ft/s)

Lead Buckshot 12 9-#00 LEAD BUCKSHOT HS-6 CCI 209M WAA12F114 30.5 8,700 PSI 1300
Lead Buckshot 12 9-#00 LEAD BUCKSHOT HS-6 CCI 209M WAA12F114 32 9,500 PSI 1350
Lead Buckshot 12 27-#4 LEAD BUCKSHOT HS-6 CCI 209M WAA12R 30.5 9,700 PSI 1250
Lead Buckshot 12 27-#4 LEAD BUCKSHOT HS-6 CCI 209M WAA12R 31.5 10,400 PSI 1300

#18 ·
I used 209 primers, WW AA hulls, WAA12 wads, 9 x 00-buck pellets over a charge of Blue Dot powder.

I use almost the same exact recipe when loading Lymans Diablo 12 gauge slug (sabot slug shaped like a 22 call lead pellet for an air rifle roughly) in conjunction with a standard star crimp.

Both loads perform good in my Remington 870 and the slug load is great in my Ultra-slug NEF single shot. The slug load is a Hawg Hammer when hunting feral hogs.

#20 ·
I use the same slug over Universal Clays and it knocks the snot out of white tails - ditto the 20 ga version. #2 son knocked a nice doe right out of her track, course it could be she wandered 20 feet from his ground blind :D: she was so busy sneaking around me and the other guy hunting with us

#19 ·
Does anyone reload 12 gauge #00 buckshot loads? I have AA shells i want to reload with my Lee Load All 2.
With the Lee system, the brand of your hulls doesn't matter. The brand of primers doesn't matter either as long as they aren't CCI magnums etc. Brand of wads makes no diff, either.

Look on your Load All 2 charge table for the size and weight of the intended shell, in this case it's in the left column near the bottom. You want the 2 3/4" hull and the 1 1/8oz load. I use Red Dot and nothing but these days so all of mine are based on that. In that one, the Red Dot powder load for that hull length and load will be the .155 bushing. Mount that one in your charge bar. That bushing will drop 18grains of Red Dot.

Next, hand fit 3 pellets of 00buck into a shotcup/wad before you insert it into the hull. Make sure the pellets will load 3 levels deep and 3 to a level. Some wads have internal ribs in the shotcups that get in the way. You want 3 levels of 3 pellets. Nine pellets is 1 1/8oz hence the charge you picked earlier. If the pellets won't stack right in your wad, use your pocket knife to slice the wad's petals off level to the wad. You'll need to cut them all off on all your wads to use them for buck. Seat the wads right side up in the hulls and start hand counting and stacking your pellets in each.

Win209 primers, either WAA12 or Remington RXP12 wads. Both are identical in this case. 18grains of Red Dot. A couple of small pinches of Cream of Wheat onto the lead pellets to act as buffering. A 3/4" disk of common printer paper on top of the lead and buffer. Star crimp it based on the hulls' factory crimp.

That'll throw your buck load at approx 1150fps so it's akin to a reduced recoil factory load.

I use that same recipe in everything I load these days. Have for more than 10 years. Works every time.

Welcome to the forum, MWP!

Peace.

rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.