Survivalist Forum banner

Can't legally own a firearm what is an alternative?

52K views 74 replies 49 participants last post by  breakneck 
#1 ·
20 years ago as a teenager I became a felon for drugs. I want to own a firearm but can't.

What can I do to defend my family? I want to protect the supplies I have and of course our lives.

Thanks.

#22 ·
Some states (according to my wife who made some bad mistakes many years ago) won't even allow a firearm in the same home with a felon. I don't know all the state laws so I can't make any further, educated comments. I disagree with this particular law in most cases. I feel that felons who committed violent acts using guns should probably be monitored but someone who was caught for drugs or tax evation should be allowed to own a gun since a gun had nothing to do with their crime. IMO

#4 ·
Conventional, recurve, or compound bow if you are allowed them. Ditto a crossbow. Double ditto a black powder arm. I have doubts you can do black powder, but it would be worth checking into. Atlatl. Sling.

Everything else I can think of is hand to hand range. All the regulars. Tomahawk, lance, sword, sabre, pike, throwing spear, boar spear, morning star, Louiville slugger, mace, flail, pitchfork, war axe, war pick. Ice pick. Length of chain. soap in a sock. Umbrella.

Reactions: holysmoke
#8 ·
Once you have a final conviction, that's the operative word, conviction of a felony, it becomes a federal problem. There is a way to get your civil rights restored by the ATF. The only problem with that, is Congress has forbidden the expenditure of any funds for that program. That mean you are SOL, until Congress funds the program.
Now in Texas, there is a type of probation, where the judge with holds final conviction, (unadjudicated), and if you don't get in trouble, he throws out the case, and you can then own firearms.
Back to the ATF, years ago a friend of mine got in trouble, and was convicted, even though he did not go to prison. Later, while the program to restore civil rights was still operating, he went down and applied. It took a long of time to get processed, so he waited. One day, he was at a coffee shop eating breakfast, and a man asked if he could sit at his table. Strange, but no big deal. They sat and talked awhile, but nothing important, just small talk. Later he was called into the ATF office to finalize the process. He went in to talk to an agent, and there behind the desk was the man in the coffee shop. He said he liked to check out people like that before approving them.

#72 ·
If you live in the U.S., ANY felony conviction = illegal to own ANY firearm. Period.

Good ol' fashioned baseball bat is a great addition to any vehicle, beside the front door, etc.

In most states, it's not really legal for any civilian to carry a gun in several areas: around schools, any establishment that sells or serves alcohol, at certain public gatherings, etc. Many companies have policies against employees having weapons of any type on the property at all.

As a result, even with my cc permit, I rarely keep a gun on me. (Other than in the car.) As the addage goes: if you don't have it with you, you don't have it!

For something to carry with you, get a S.O.G. Flash II Knife. Much more subtle, and much easier to carry in a variety of situations.

#10 ·
see if it is possible to petition the court for a ''record seal'' or ''expungement'' 20 year old felony's especialy as a teenager is a good chance for a removal from record providing you have kept your nose clean since then........
there are a whole host of services available at resoenable prices...i strongly advise you cantact one that is working in your area and lay your case work in front of them and see what they say..........
http://www.removeit.org/
http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20869
i see no reason why someone should go around branded for the rest of their life because of something done as a teenager, especialy if you have learned from the error of your ways..............

#12 ·
depends on the state. Mostly you won't be able to legally own anything like that. I've even heard of strict judges sending guys off to jail for slingshots and airguns.

Course even in jail you can make a double barrel shotgun musket that is charged with finely powdered and compressed matchstick heads

#14 ·
the state was IL I now live in FL.

the process requires going before the governors board of like 8 people and asking them to recommend the governor pardon me. the governor rarely pardons anyone and the process is quite expensive.

I am thankful for all the responses and I think the cheapest and easiest solution is for my wife to get a firearm.

#33 ·
Florida, will not give you an Order of Executive Clemancy since your conviction was in Illinois.
You will need too check on Illinois State laws, but I doubt you can even file there, since you are a Florida resident now.
You would have too move back too Illinois.

As a convicted felon, living in Florida, You can legally own a recurve, or compound bow, any flintlock rifle, some of the ball and cap guns, I think the in-lines are out, but the rule of thumb, is if you don't have too go through the back ground check you are ok, the real exception too the rule, is C&R curio and relics cartriage guns, and a private transfer of any real firearm.
As for your spouse owning a firearm, it is thier right, and Florida will not infringe on that right, however you are still a convicted felon.
You do not have the right too "Own, Use, or Possess" any firearm.
If, and I say if, there is ever any crime under investigation at your residents, the firearm may be concidered matiral evidence, and subject too finger printing test.
If your finger prints are on that firearm, you could be charged with possesion.
That charge, under the Florida statues can land you 15 years in a Florida prision.
5 years for the possesion charge, and an additional 10 years for the
10-20-life law that Florida enacted about ten years ago.
Be very wary of advise you recieve from anyone who is not a lawer, and well versed on the law, in this matter.
You do have too register as a felon in Florida, some states only register sex offenders, but that is a little law, not talked about in Florida.
It is a way too "Stack" charges against a defendant.
I have a friend in Tallahassee that is a criminal attorney.
If you are close too there, PM me, and I will give you the contact info.

#17 ·
Yes, it can be expensive. You are right about that. However, if you know somebody who is a good writer, kind of smart and knows how to follow procedures you can bypass the expensive part and still have your case plea made in front of the governor or a judge. What I would do is find out, by means of research, who in which state is legally allowed to expunge a criminal conviction. I would try to get the expungement done first in Illinois and then second in Florida. Every governor has aides who review different areas for them. You could find out who that particular aide is by simply making a phone call to the governor's office or by e-mailing his office. You can also find out which judge can order an expungement by doing research. It is not unusual for a conviction to be expunged by another judge, generally from the same court district, later on years down the road. Finding a judge to do the expungement isn't all that hard but you need to make sure that it is legal and that you have all the legally mandated papers. The key in the documentation is to make sure that you use the right papers, the right color folders, etc. and follow the right procedures in writing or drafting them. There probably is a nominal filing fee of a few dollars, generally under $50. In your papers you will have to show cause, show past history (This item has GOT to be 100% right.) and show that you have EARNED this expungement and you have to write all of this up in an intelligent fashion. You also have to show how the past conviction is also viewed in the modern fashion which could surprise you because what used to be a felony could now be reduced to a misdemeanor by today's standards. If you were convicted in the 1960's, 70's or early 80's there is a good possibility that by today's standards you wouldn't be a felon either because the amount of drugs or new court probation standards that are in effect. Either way, expungement could very well be the way to go if you were to do a little research...

#21 ·
facts if your wife gets the guns don't keep them im the house if you ever expect police contact .as you can be charged with constructive posseion and get a nickel for each shooter. as a felon posession of air rifles,shuriken de, balisong,even sling shots, is a federal offense punishable by eight months in federal prison. from the final date of your sentence including parole has been more than 7years then you can have your gun rights restored i may still have the paperwork for this i'll look for it

#24 ·
You may be able to have Black Powder Rifles and Pistols, there is a limit to the amount of powder you may possess so check laws very carefully. Both State and Federal Laws come into play here. If you are married have your wife get the firearms and keep them locked up and not allow you to have a key. If you can get to the guns within a certain amount of time they will get you for constructive possession. Again, check both State and Federal Laws. Get the answers in writing from the BATF and the local State department that takes care of things like that. Make absolute sure you follow the letter of the law. If you have a place in the country then you should be able to shoot at your house if you have enough land to support that type of activity. Never allow the police or Federal Storm Troopers to gain admittance to your land. Once they are invited, they can claim jurisdiction. Lastly, see a lawyer. You may be able to get the record sealed depending on the State you are in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.