Survivalist Forum banner

Do I not understand? (sighting the 10/22)

23K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  421slicer 
#1 ·
I bought a new Ruger 10/22 and am trying to sight it in and I have the vertical adjustment right on but I am shooting a couple inches to the right of bullseye. I read the instruction manual and it says to adjust the front sight in the direction of where you want the bullets to hit. This would mean while looking down the sight, I would want to tap the sight to the left, correct? I am asking because I have moved it a bit already and it doesn't seem to be hitting any closer and I don't want to tap on the sight any more than I have to. I am using a small brass bar. Thanks all--Marvin

#2 · (Edited)
TOTAL EDIT: :)

After sketching it out, and checking the manual. The manual is incorrect. the front sight is moved in the direction of the impact, the rear sight is moved in the opposite of the impact. So in this case the front needs to move right, OR the rear needs to move left. (tested it out finally LOL)

#4 ·
Did you read that right? Seems wrong to me.
Okay, you're shooting to the right with the sight on the target.
You want to shoot more to the left, so you need to move the barrel left to be where you want.
Moving the barrel left also moves the sight left.
If you move the barrel to be on target, the sight, which was previously on target, will then have moved left, and will now be left of target.
To get the sight on target with the barrel itself correctly aligned, it would have to move right.

If you move the sight right first, the barrel will move left since you are pivoting your line of sight on the rear sight.

If you're shooting right, move the front sight right.
With read sight adjustments, you would move it left.

That's how I picture it, anyway.....

#10 · (Edited)
I don't think the rear sight even moves side-to-side, I think its only for vertical adjustment.

Edit: I was wrong, the rear sight does move side-to-side. Guess I need to look a little closer next time:rolleyes:

#12 ·
your wright about the rear sight, My info was for a scope.I have a small daisy electronic point sight, whitch is a red dot. That by the way works great, once I figured out that it worked better, by aiming with both my eyes open, much unlike a traditional scope. If your front sight does not move and your rear sight is stationary,just cairfuly usu plyers to bend
the rear sight the direction you want it to go. It wont take much..My marlin 60 was open sight perfect, right out of the box.

#13 · (Edited)
With Iron sights,
Move/drift the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to impact. The rear sight on a 10/22 is drift adjustable...I prefer to center up the front sight and then not move or mess with it, but if it becomes necessary then move/drift the front sight in the opposite direction from the bullet impact. A hint make rough adjustment at closer range 15/20 yards or so and then refine adjustments at farther distances.
Sight adjustment is also covered in the instructions that came with the rifle...If you didn't get an instruction manual then, contact Ruger they'll send you one for free.
Peter

#14 ·
Now I am fighting the urge to reset my front sight back to center and move my rear sight. I have the gun pretty much sighted in for 15 yds but knowing that the front sight should not have been moved is driving me up the wall lol.

#15 ·
Barrel mounted rear sights generally dont have witness marks, when drifting the rear sight it can be difficult to determine if the sight has moved and if it has by how much...
I put a small piece of 3/4" masking tape on the barrel and another on the rear sight base, starting with one edge of the tape aligned with the other it's easy to see if the base has moved and by how much. Once the rear sight has been adjusted for windage the tape lifts off and you are good to go...

#17 ·
LOL... I put a small scope on mine (shut up, I'm blind!) only to find that the receiver had an upward cant to it. So i bought some $75 elevation adjustable rings to fix it! The good news is that I haven't had to re-sight my 10/22 in 3 years! The rings are super high quality IMHO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.