Survivalist Forum banner

Preppers will die in WROL

66K views 375 replies 107 participants last post by  DADDYO 
#1 ·
I found a lot of truth in what this soldier is saying !

#6 ·
Beautiful thing, this Internet. Anybody can jump up on Youtube and post a video.

Back when we called ourselves "survivalists" we were a lot less politically correct and didn't have any compunctions against the Kurt Saxon, FM 5-25, and TM 31-210 stuff that most people are afraid to talk about these days because they don't want their door kicked in at 3AM and their kittens stomped to death.

Nor did we think the end-all-be-all to preparedness was an M4orgery with 20 pounds of fooferaw slapped on the picatinny rails.

#7 ·
Ah, muscle memory. I was at the range a couple of days ago and their were several younger LEO's there. Shooting their AR-15's. one experienced a miss fire. Round went pop instead of bang. He set his rifle down and drew his pistol and continued to fire. when he was done he holstered his pistol and picked up the rifle dumped the magazine and cleared the weapon. He never checked down the barrel. He put a fresh magazine into the rifle, jacked a round and thats where I stopped him. I suggested that he might want to clear his rifle and then open it up and check to see if the dud round had cleared the barrel. The bullet was only half way down the barrel. He thanked me. Failure to fire / stoppage drills. Drilled into me in the 70's, if it goes pop, stop and check it out. :)

#21 ·
What your young friend experienced was not a misfire, but a squib. There are three basic ammunition malfunctions; misfire, hang fire, and squib.

Misfire is the failure of a cartridge to ignite after the primer is struck by the firing pin. All you get is 'click'.
Hang fire is a perceptible delay in the ignition of a cartridge after the primer is struck by the firing pin. You get a 'click' followed in short order by the 'bang'.
SQUIB is the development of less than normal pressure and/or velocity after the cartridge has been ignited by the primer being struck by the firing pin. This is where you get the 'pop'. "If the gun goes pop, you stop."

Your remedy was correct. Good catch.

#12 ·
I think the biggest thing about this video, when I first saw it and now, was a simple and personal thing for each watcher:

Can you admit he is right?

Can you accept it?

Can you accept you may well be one of the ones to die?

Can you accept it?

Reactions: Marcie
#15 ·
Preppers will die in WROL
Preppers, and everyone else, will eventually die anyway. We're all mortal and there is no escape.

My understanding was that the whole point of prepping was to postpone it for as long as possible.

Since surviving is my goal, I don't plan on going out and engaging anyone in combat. Exchanging gunfire in running firefight is not conducive to extending my lifespan. I'm not in the military, I can't call in air support, artillery support, I don't have snipers on my side and I'm not supported by crew served, belt fed, automatic weapons. I see my best bet for survival as removing myself from danger.

I'd opt for strict adherence to the gray man practice. Blend in, keep a low profile and don't make yourself noticeable. That way when looting riots break out or terrorists try to take over a shopping mall, you won't be the one that is shot to make an example out of.

The preferred tactics I'd use is situational awareness and common sense. I don't go to places where riots typically break out and I avoid large crowds that might be tempting to terrorists (football stadiums, concerts, shopping malls, etc).

If I should find myself in dangerous situation where the rule of law is not being observed, then my preferred methods are escape and evasion, camouflage and concealment, silent movement and a burning desire to get the heck away from the danger.

Others may disagree, but since my goal is surviving, I'm not planning on going out on any combat patrols into dangerous and hostile territory. If I have to move at all, I'll be quietly sneaking through the woods, off road and trying real hard to be invisible about it.

#20 ·
Others may disagree, but since my goal is surviving, I'm not planning on going out on any combat patrols into dangerous and hostile territory. If I have to move at all, I'll be quietly sneaking through the woods, off road and trying real hard to be invisible about it.
I think the greater concern WROL would be defending yourself at home or while going about necessary tasks that may take you away from home. If things are so bad that there are heavily-armed "bad guys" running amok, and in such numbers that intervention by law enforcement or military is right out the window, it will be past the point of riots and looters at the grocery store. While I personally prefer a handgun for personal and home defense, that's assuming we're living in (as the video states) "civilized" conditions, where a would-be burglar or mugger is still fearful of getting caught. Once things have escalated to a level where there is nobody to call for help, those same burglars and muggers will be hoping for unprepared or unarmed victims, knowing that there's no cop just around the corner or a 911 call away.

Point being, going to gather firewood or trade with a neighbor could put you at risk as much as walking across a minefield. It will be when doing the most mundane, day-to-day tasks that people will be in the most danger . . . if things ever get as bad as the video portrays.

#18 ·
This guy is 100% right in what he is saying, people do not even realize what its like on a 2 way range. Even with all of my training I was not prepared for it. Good thing I was with more experienced soldiers cause I just stood there in a daze..... if my Sgt didnt snap me out of it I would have been toast.... so anyone who thinks that "hey I play Call of Duty I am ready" reality will set in.

#19 ·
Being bored I listened to it. Reasonable start but his conclusions are strictly combat focused. So in the end he falls for the same mindset he warns against. The fact he recommends constant practice to be a super warrior and large stockpiles of ammunition suggests to me that he has not finished his thought process.

The talk about pistols vs rifles was a classic use of cliche. Not to mention his disdain of button pushers that had no idea about combat. Strange he says to not underestimate your opponent, that a untrained person with a inferior weapon can kill you from ambush, and yet he makes that same mistake during his speech. Based on his world view I would have to conclude that your only chance in a apocalypse was to kill before being killed. However there is a real old statement that provides a different approach.

"If you can't beat them, join them."

#22 ·
want to develop your muscle memory for weapons?

ask yourself these questions if you think you have the tactical experience necessary

Have you ever shot and killed a flushed grouse? Drawn your weapon in time to identify a pheasant's sex and not shoot because of it's a hen opposed to a rooster? Shot a full-tilt running deer that just got flushed out of a thicket by a drive/push of other hunters?

I urge those of you who don't have it to complete a hunters safety course and expand your weapons training to hunting wild game. It is not combat like you would see in wrol situation, but it will condition your muscle-memory

If you are not in an area to do such like Cleveland, travel and buy an out of state license

people can laugh at us who really will retreat to the woods when shtf... i'll be at one of my BOL's in less than an hour setting up camp w. 15 years of hunting experience behind my belt. In some places of where I live (pa), hunting/fishing in freezing temps is of the norm. In the case an enemy combatant finds me, I'll be ready. Not to say I'll get planked by someone 400 yards away when I'm building a fire, preparing food, taking a ****, etc. Def. ALWAYS in the back of a true survivalists mind.

I can't imagine fleeing the city in the middle of civil unrest. It seems truly impossible to me, and for that reason, I will never live in such a place.

it's mighty nice to have dirt roads to my BOL's (the furthermost being 30 min from my house), endless amounts of wild game, plant-life, shelter... getting on the road before these things happen is key.

#23 ·
I feel at a definite disadvantage when it comes to a bug out situation. I've never hunted, never lived in the woods for any period of time. I've been camping about 15 times in my life, with stoves, coolers of food and water, sleeping bags, etc. I didn't have to worry if I caught any fish or not to eat. Being a sailor for most of my adult life didn't allow me much time to do those things, or even think about training like that. The guys I know that did go hunting grew up like that and went on one hunt a year if they were lucky. What I have done is read, and I have a problem solving mind. It helped me out a great deal in the Navy.

Now that I am regular shnook again :D: I plan on getting into some hunting and the like. I'm not sure I would last too long in the Colorado mountains, especially this time of year.

#28 ·
the fact that you are aware of this...big ups! Colorado mountains... hard for anyone. Middle of nowhere in Pa, Ohio, West Virginia, North Caronlina... it is manageable for those w. the skills. Long term would be difficult, but waiting out the storm for a few weeks of civil unrest-like situations... do-able.

I spoke of a dude in a thread who lives in a shelter made of logs and tarp from march to oct/nov each year at a local stream I fish here in PA. He traps, fishes, cooks on fire, has a shower system in place, grows a small garden. It's pretty rad. I will surely do an expose on said subject if he so permits. Something to look forward to come spring! I can't wait to hunt for morels (mushrooms). My mouth is salivating... then, come June, I'm off to Alaska for the summer (work~guide).

#24 ·
The muscle memory being referred to here has nothing to do with hunting birds, its the ability to manipulate your weapon without thinking about it like is actually an extension of yourself. Weapon jams? no problem.... automatically we go thru our jam clearance drills, reload? same thing. Just automatic reactions to keep sending rounds down range untill the threat has been neutralized. Muscle memory is training yourself to do things automatically by doing these things thousands of times until it becomes like breathing. Attention to detail is important like sexing a bird before firing, kinda like when I clear a room I automatically look at hands to assess the threats. But if you want to develop useful combat muscle memory you actually need to take a gunfighters course. Once you do you will know the difference.

#27 ·
yes, it does. If you have hunted, you would know when a bird flushes, it becomes a reflex to draw your gun, acquire target, make sure your shooting lane is clear, follow through. i'm not going to argue the point w. someone who obviously knows it ALL.

ask any lifetime hunter if the reflexes they've acquired from shooting moving targets follows through w. other situations, such as clearing a room.

seriously, have you ever hunted for grouse? I would lay my life down even a police officer w. weapons training is very poor at it w. no prior experience. Every aspect you spoke of is about being conscious w. your weapon. It might not be the SAME, however, a bird flushes and the normal person carrying the gun won't get their safety off in time, whereas someone who has done it many times is conditioned (muscle memory) to properly execute a shot

#25 ·
This guy needs a new hat. He put a few war/rifle terms into an idea that moms been telling you for years, practice make perfect. It could be basketball shots, sex moves or shooting drills. There will always be LAW. After SHTF it will turn into martial law, or we will make our own laws. My laws are based on morals and I will not shoot anyone unless its defense, It doesnt matter if there is local/government law or shtf Ill be logical, moral and always on the tips of my toes. I am interested in a lot this guy has to say, Thats why i watched the other videos on his youtube channel. I am not gunned or trained for war(just for home defense), thats why some of the other videos are more interesting. -Jon

#38 ·
Yes he is right and yes we need to hear it again, but I think most of us know this already. I need to spend more time on the range and more time training. It's good to hear this to lite a fire in us, but the people who are going to die are the clueless who don't know this and have not prepared.

#42 ·
i just can't wrap my head around this...

where are you from that you believe ALL wild game/fish will be depleted in weeks?

what... is everyone going to flee into the woods, shoot everything breathing, and inhabit every acre of forest in the US? There is roughly 44,000 sq miles of land in PA. 14 million ppl. Do the math. I won't even get to how many miles of stream lies within, but I can assure you, if you lined half of the state up on all of it, you still wouldn't make a dent! that's just taking fishing into consideration. And do you really believe even half have the skills to survive on hunting/fishing? He11 no!

#46 ·
but what about the civil unrest? so everyone will escape this unrest and flee to the woods, killing everything in their path? dream on dude. hunting pressure W.O civil unrest doesn't hurt the population now... assuming 75 % survive the unrest and they all do what you say, i still do not believe they would extinct all species of game.

ill lay it to rest at that... to each his own. I guess in due time, our theories will be put to test. I don't believe that many people, especially city dwellers, have the skill to survive off of wild game. Half that tried would die in a week trying to stay warm in winter and not EVERYONE will head into the woods. In fact, most 'preppers' HERE, laugh at that notion.

it's almost as if you believe there is no hope. wild game... gone. get out the seed vaults and pump some gmo's into the body!

the thread has a valid point and doesn't need endless arguments.

#50 ·
Most hunters aren't prepared for long term survival. You need more than just protien to survive long term. Many of the things we need are much more difficult to get in the wild.

Just remember that currently less than 6 percent of the population hunts. Some areas are highly pressured at this number. Now factor in that not taking game equals starvation which means everyone will be killing and eating everything including doe's and piglets and you can begin to see the decline I am speaking of.

I will also lay it to rest as an agreement to disagree.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.