Survivalist Forum banner

BOV: Bug Out Van? Van Living?

17K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Nimmer 
#1 ·
Has anyone really considered living in a Van or something similar (small enough to not completely guzzle gas yet still not large enough to live in very comfortably)?

I have to admit, I'm kind of curious about this particular phenomenon. I saw a preview for a dvd, Rubber Tramps...

...and ever since the idea just seems like it has some merit. I looked around and found some on-line clubs for folks who say,"We're not homeless, we're HOUSE-LESS!"
Possible Bug Out Vehicle if your retreat from civilization turns into more of an exodus to some distant "safe" territory? Perhaps an option to get closer to SHTF-reductionist-lifestyle so we can get more comfortable for when things REALLY start to suck?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/livingmobile/

#2 ·
Where do those hippies get money for fuel and vehicle maintanance/repairs - begging , stealing ?
They make it sound like a great way to live - free to do what they want . But really they are just bums who don't care to be productive and prefer to live off other peoples scraps or handouts .
Living on the road or the streets is dangerous . A lot of deranged people out there . I wonder how many people living that life have been robbed , raped , beaten or killed .

#4 ·
The one guy said "I get low on money, you work for a few weeks and off I go again." It's about 2:20 in the third video. Some people save up then go and don't work at all while they're traveling. Some people have investments they live off of.

I've known people that did the same thing on motorcycle(check out http://www.advrider.com/ they do this all over the world. One motorcycle forum I'm a member of has sections just for staying with people all over the US free of charge. Just to be friendly.), bicycle and on foot. The guy on foot had a cross sewn onto his pack and people would stop and give him money. One guy bicycled to South America and back. I met a girl recently bicycling from Louisiana up through Georgia to Maine. I gave her some money and told her to get a hot meal on me, and to have fun and be safe. I've known lots of people that would work and travel for their summer vacations while in school.

I've played in a band and we worked our way across the US and back. We stayed with complete strangers most of the time. We met up with friends in different places as well. I met some of the nicest people. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. The world isn't full of psychos. Most people are good.

Yes it is potentially dangerous, maybe less than living in one spot since you're always changing locations and you're not traveling with anything worth taking. It's not like living in one place where people can case your house and know your schedule.

Someone you see as a bum that doesn't care to be productive could have more money than you and is enjoying the fruits of their labor, using camouflage to appear to be someone not worth robbing. I have an Uncle that's retired and has in his words "enough money to live a hundred lifetimes" that is constantly on cruises or is riding his motorcycle to new places.

#5 ·
Ninjabot, my BOV is a E150 cargo van with a straight 6. I have plans to do a diesel 4x4 conversion at some point in the future once I find the right donor. But I'm pleased with the straight 6. I pulled a 5,000 lb truck with no problems. It has dual tanks and I have a range of about 5-600 miles. I carry an additional 5 gallons, but will add 2 more 5 gallon containers if I'm going to bug out.

I have it set up with cabinets on the walls that hold my tools, hitch mounts and balls, spare belts, spare tensioner, plugs, wires, cap, radiator hose, spare battery, battery charger, 5 gallons of water for the engine, 2 qts of power steering fluid, brake fluid, 10 qts of oil and filters. I keep a 3 ton floor jack in it and one full size spare.

I keep 10 gallons of drinking water in it as well as several days food, extra boots, a nice change of clothes and set of work clothes, a rain suit, my bug out/get home bags and have a 12 gauge with 100 rounds and a SKS with 250 rounds hidden fairly well in it but still easy to get to from the driver's seat. I carry a .45 on me with 2 spare magazines and 100 rounds under the seat.

I have a 500 watt inverter that will run a laptop(but not a coffee maker). I keep an inflatable air mattress and a 4 D cell mattress pump in it and have slept in it a couple times.

I've had pickup trucks with and without shells and decided I like the fully enclosed functionality of van. No more people throwing trash in the bed of the truck. No worries about things being blown out of the bed. The floor is also lower than a truck bed so is nicer to load plywood and drywall(or Bambi's dad) into. And I can load a 28 foot ladder(not extended) completely inside.

I can also load a motorcycle into it by myself, strap it down, slide my ramp in next to it and take it with me.

I still need to add a few more spare parts and I'd like to add a winch, a higher output alternator and bigger inverter.

#7 ·
I had a friend that lived in a little blue Mitsubishi pickup truck for two years after graduating high school. He used a small laptop to receive orders and arrange shipping of the custom outboard engine parts he manufactured using tools he kept in the bed of the truck. He earned about $15k/yr in 20hrs a week while on the road.

After two years he decided he wanted to make a life of it. He and his wife, whom he met while vagabond, are team drivers for a freight company. They bought a house a few years ago, but sold it after less than a year. They didn't like living in a house. Now they living in their big rig.

#12 ·
After two years he decided he wanted to make a life of it. He and his wife, whom he met while vagabond, are team drivers for a freight company. They bought a house a few years ago, but sold it after less than a year. They didn't like living in a house. Now they living in their big rig.
I used to drive OtR for a major carrier, was surprisingly good at it & made plenty of money but it wasn't for me. Some things just can't be had with the hours that the job demands (I like regular martial arts training, frequent non-risky sex, etc...)

#16 ·
#19 ·
I've seen the Earth Roamer line & if I had that much disposable money, I no doubt would have one!
http://www.earthroamer.com/

I have actually seen one of the Earth Roamers in person - I was @ Snoqualmie Pass last winter and saw one....it was the pickup version...it was GORGEOUS!!!...yes, being on their website is fun!!...what I want - really want - is a 4X4 RV/van/pickup that could be a BOV as well as a "toy" in the meantime...someday - he says - someday....

#23 ·
I haven't lived in my van (http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?p=561082#post561082) but there may be some ideas here you could use if you decide to. I did spend 10 days living out of it while on a job out of town, but I had access to a shower and I don't think I cooked any meals on that trip.

I do have some ideas on how to modify the interior for the 2 children that have joined our family since I built the rig: I will likely add an additional heater unit under the bed, to help heat the rear of the rig while driving. I need to add some insulation under the floor... I'm thinking of rigid foam boards cut to fit and screwed to the floor from underneath (fender washers on self-tapping screws) or similar. I would like to add some additional insulation in the top (there is about 1" of open cell foam between the inner and outer layers of fiberglass), but I'm not sure how to do it yet (I expect some idea will pop into my mind one day while I'm doing something else)...

I spent about 6 months working for a guy modifying passenger vans for transit use... installing fiberglass roofs, wheel chair lifts, etc and that was where I got the inspiration for this project. I lost the fear of taking a sawzall to a van with 50 miles on it there... it's just metal!

Good luck,
G'dood

#24 ·
I have spent the last year converting my van into a HOW. (Home on Wheels) The reason I have been doing this is that I have a low paying job. I want a better job in a better location but I can't afford to live in a new place just yet. So I will live out of my van while job hunting and for the first 6 months or so. It should be enough time to save up a considerable amount of money.
In my van I have the following:
Two 1000 Ah Batteries totaling 2000 Ah (Deep Cycle Marine Batteries)
One 750 Watt Inverter and a 350 Watt Inverter
4 Cup coffee maker.
Small 12 Volt heater fan.
Small Propane Catalytic Heater.
A portable flushing toilet.
A small 6-liter 12 volt refrigerator.
A 5 gallon water tank and a 12 volt high pressure pump for showers.
A 3.5' X 6' Bed platform.
100 Watt Solar Panel to help keep batteries charged.
1200 Watt Gas Generator to recharge in a pinch. (Rarely have to use this.)
The rear windows have been lined with R-13 Foam cut to fit and blacked out.
Recently just built an enclosed trailer that is weather tight. This will carry food and spare clothing etc...
I would post pics but it doesn't allow me to post any attachments.

#31 ·
I have a E150 that I use as a work truck that I have thought about for use in an emergencey. I have the side insulated with 3/8'' plywood over it. I never insulated the roof though but it would be a good idea if I had to stay in it.
It has a metal bulkhead with shelving behind it and a set of shelves on the passenger side. Plywood on the floor over the rubber liner and it has plenty of floor space to sleep 3-4 people if needed. 30 gal tank and a rack on top.

I am planning on bugging in but you do need to think about options just in case.It would alow me to bring along some extra ammo ,tools and food/water.

I have seen alot of vehicles and trailers set up to stay in at the ski hills that were more costly than staying in a hotel if you figure the extra gas neccessary to travel and the cost of the unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.