Survivalist Forum banner

Outdoor Tattoo Ideas

14K views 49 replies 45 participants last post by  lefrost 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I'm thinking about getting a tattoo that shows my love for being outdoors. I've seen some hunting and fishing ones but I'd love it to be more general than that. Do you guys have any suggestions or tattoos of your own that embody this? Images would be awesome, but even a description would help get some ideas flowing.

Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
Go to a tattoo shop, look at the artists' book (of previous work) then find the one you like. As him/her to draw you something, it is polite to offer 20-50 bucks for this drawing just in case you do not get a tattoo and they are not out a few hours work.

#3 ·
Go to a tattoo shop
Yeah of course. But I figured I'd ask around an outdoor forum to see if they had any ideas. After all, they are the type to spend a lot of time outdoors and maybe come up with something that represents that love. I plan on taking all the ideas (from browsing online, this thread, and the artist's work) to try to come up with an idea for what I want. If it doesn't work, I will resort to them coming up with something on their own. Thanks for the tip though!

#5 ·
Read the rest of my post...they are artists that are use to people walking in saying "I really like trees and the color pink, I want a pink tree that is awesome."

Most of my ink has been done in this manner and the outcome is far less cheesy than us non-artists can come up with. Trust me

#24 ·
When I read the op in this thread an idea popped into my head some may think it cheesy or whatever but it's what popped into my head when I read this. I think a set of human footprints leading to an old gnarly oak tree that looks like the mother of all life and along the way the footprints morph into wolf prints.
And to me the tree needs to be all kinds of gnarled and twisted and look like the oldest tree ever as if this tree somehow could have given rise to all other life. And it would have to be a back tattoo that goes from top to bottom where the footprints start out somewhere around your lower right waist/back area and lead up to the tree which would be on your left shoulder blade.
Those are my thoughts.

#27 ·
I'll chime in here on this one. I own a tattoo shop here in Ga. The best advise I could give the OP is to put a lot of thought into your tattoo. Remember that we can do anything you want as long as the size is big enough. The more detail there is the bigger the tattoo needs to be to hold up over time. The less detail the smaller it can be. Look for reference in your local book stores, online (Google image), t-shirts, etc... You can use a image from many different sources and combine them to create a single image. I would suggest that you tell the artist what kind of things you like outdoor wise and give him artistic freedom to create your tattoo.
Where do you want to put your tattoo?
How big do you want it?
Do you want color or just black and gray?
What is your budget for the tattoo?
Give me some ideas and I'll try and help you out with a drawing you can take to your local artist if you want.;)

#35 ·
Sadly, many of us don't have the luxury of actual artists. The people I've went to for mine have been magazine features (one of mine was in his mini portfolio in the feature) but the majority of "artists" near me are laughable at best. I agree that you need to really think about the tattoo size, detail, location, coloring...you need to also make sure the artist does solid work and can actually do the style you're wanting. I haven't been able to get any work done in the past few years because either the quality artists have decided to do some guest spots in shops or they've headed to the coasts. It makes me kind of mad when someone starts telling me about their awesome tattoo and tell me about the price...then out comes something worse than Stevie Wonder could have done. Horrible shading, either shaky/inconsistent lines or more of a - - - - type of line, or obviously no understanding of how to properly work the coloring. Way too many bad "artists" trying to do some flash from an eBay or Huck Spaulding kit making the industry look bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.