Survivalist Forum banner

If you could pick one lure what would it be?

29K views 106 replies 96 participants last post by  BigJim 
#1 ·
I myself stick to the idea of a small hook will catch alot of fish and large hook will catch only big fish (and snags) :D:
With that said I would pick a small jig that I have caught a large number of fish with and many different species.

Not actual size! Heres the desc. from the there homepage
Micro Litle Tough Guys, 2 pk. LEAD FREE Perch, 1/25 oz. #8 hook, approx. 3/4" long, fully painted jig head with foil eyes. Great for ice fishing! Ideal for pan fish & trout.

I have caught crappies, bluegill, smallmouth bass, largemouth, shiners, chubs you name it. I recommend picking up a package for your next fishing outing.

See less See more
#9 ·
Hook and Worm
never had a fish that wouldnt bite on this, in any season. this IS the best method.
now as for a lure, i prefer a wedding ring (not an actually ring)

its small and light wait, and great for cold water fish (trout, char, white-fish, salmon... and all those good fish). (now this being said, if you have a boat, i would attach the wedding ring to the end of either a Willow-Leaf or a Ford-Fender and then further bait it with worms. IMHO, this is the best method of trolling for trout and I always catch the most fish with this method. My personal record for this method is a 17.5 pound rainbow trout two summers ago, but overall I must have caught a 100+ trout/kokannee with this setup in the last 3 years). If I could only have one lure, this would be it. :thumb: now that being said, worn and hook is still the best imo.

edit: make sure to go with the red wedding-ring (sometimes called wedding-bands), they catch twice the number of fish as the green ones, or the green/red ones. the fish seems to like the dark red ones the best.

Attachments

#88 ·
We call those a CIL Wobbler up here!! I would say Texas rig/plastic worm
or a Williams wobbler (spoon) I have been around the world twice and always
packed a rod, and tackle, and the Texas rig works everywhere!! I have learned
to put them on a 30" stainless leader up here because Pike will nail em too!!

#19 · (Edited)
Beserker, I think I might have to agree with you. I love to fish for white perch/crappie. The jig will catch the white pearch, the bass, the catfish and bream and more. Its one of the best all around lures. Since I lean toward white pearch fishing, I would have to go with the crappie jig, if i had to have (1) lure only.

As far as bass lures my favorites are the Rattlin Rogue, Spinner bait and Tiny Torpeda.

#20 ·
Only one, and is this a survival type question? Just give me an old hook, worm, and floater preferably. Are you granting the possibility to find more bait?

Do you mean as in only one as in singular, or only one type to work with? Because I know if I only have exactly one lure to possibly last me, I'm definately not risking getting hung on something with say a spinner bait and losing my meal ticket; or anything else that's a constant reeling-in lure.

If you mean only one type to work with, yeah I believe small lead headed jigs and grub lure would be the way to go, too. No big difference than a hook and you could use it naked without the plastic grub as well if you can get any sort of natural bait.

Preference wise I like spinner baits for bass on a open face spinning reel, because I can get it to go where I want it to, just because I enjoy them. For crappie, I like live minnows on a lead headed jig; panfish and anything else that happens to bite, plain old hook bobber and live worm.

Overall... eh jig like OP posted if I had to narrow down to one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.