Survivalist Forum banner

best ccw 9mm revolver?

24K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  Oh Shoot 
#1 ·
best ccw 9mm revolver?

#11 ·
Ruger made an SP101 and a Speed Six in 9mm, at one time. S&W made a 940, in 9mm, that is no longer in production. These were all snub nose revolvers. There are some used ones out there, but they are not cheap and they are not the easiest revolvers in the world to find. My first choice would be the Ruger SP101....... IF I could find one. Best of luck to you in your search.

#18 ·
There is a huge difference between guns that COULD be made.....and guns that SHOULD be made. A 9mm revolver, like any rimless cartridge in a revolver, is a bad solution in search of a problem.

So...for the sake of argument, lets pretend you have a 9mm revolver in SHTF. NOW you have to have moon clips, and load them, so you can load your revolver. At least a semi auto without a magazine is a single shot....a 9mm revolver without a moon clip is a hammer.

#20 ·
There are reasons that makers don't make them. This is such silly logic (I don't mean to be mean .. but think about it) Why would I bother with moon clips when a FASSST/SIMPLE mag change with double the rnd count in a semi auto works for most .. and why semi autos are far more widely used in law enforcement and with civilians?

#27 ·
There's a revolver out there that shoots 9mm, 38, .308, Makarov and 357. Basically anything around .357 diameter. Can be quite expensive. It's called the Medusa model 47 by Philips and Rogers.

It's not only the ultimate ccw (k frame size with ammo versatility) but probably the best survival gun on the planet (for pistols.)

Not many were made, and they are pretty old too.

#31 ·
The CARR (Charter Arms Rimless Revolver) doesn't require moon clips. I'd love to get one if they ever release them for sale. The main advantage of a 9mm revolver IMO is the fun of a revolver using the same cheap ammo that you use in your semi-auto (caliber consolidation). I mainly own 9mm handguns, so for me it is a great alternative to having to stock more expensive .357 or .38.

#33 ·
I have a Taurus 905. I just bought it so I am pretty sure they are still in production.

They only hold 5 rounds, and you need moon clips or they are a pain to reload. Oh, and moon clips suck balls. If you don't use moon clips you have to use a screwdriver or something similar to push the empty cases out of the cylinder.

However, if you want a revolver to share ammo with your primary sidearm, it's pretty much your only choice.

#41 ·
Okay. You all have missed a possibility here, and I'll drag it out for you. Find yourself a .38 Special wheel gun that is to your taste, and if it were me, I 'd go with a Ruger Speed Six or similar in stainless. However, the little Smith J frames have parts available as well. Get yourself a spare cylinder/crane assembly, and have a 'smith who understands revolvers fit it up for you. Get as close a match to the .38 cylinder as you can get with the new cylinder, and get the barrel set back to minimum gap. 0.005" is a good figure to shoot for, both cylinders. Then take one of 'em, and open the chambers up to take the 9x19. Cut the rear of the cylinder to take the full moon clips. Fit it, proof it, and you will then have a revolver that can swap back and forth from 9x19 to .38 Special.

For those of you who like the .38 Super, you can go that route as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.