Survivalist Forum banner

Serbian AK-47...

Tags
7.62 ak-47
39K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  cz223 
#1 ·
My gun dealer recently indicated that the 'Serbian AK-47 double stack' was a top end AK. Any opinions (you know what they say about opinions) out there? Need a new AK, says he's got a Polish one too...

#4 ·
Serbian AK...

The 'Serbian' is $800 brand new out of the box. Very nice wooden stock, looks like maple (probably not but that's what it looks like). Really good fit and finish, makes my old IO look like junk. Way better than a WASR, not that I have anything against WARSs.

The Polish one has a milled receiver, so I didn't even ask. I prefer the stamped as its about two pounds lighter.

#10 ·
AK-74...

Thank you for the link... looks nice!

What is the appeal to you for the 5.45? Is it a Ryuski knock off in .223? What are the advantages in cost, reliability and durability?

The real reasons I'm getting another AK-47 is moderate cost of ammo (read STOCKPILE), dead reliability and legendary durability.

I'm in love with Ms. Zastava Yugo, even the name is dead sexy... when she comes into my hands I'll name her 'Zesty'.

#13 ·
the little 5.45's are more accurae than the 7.62's the ammo is also cheaper.
Thanks. Ammo is cheaper? Good to know. Still, I really like the knock down of the 7.62. Am thinking of saving up the pennies to get my wife a AK-74, less recoil and we'd be on the same type of system (she's a great shot but hates recoil)

BTW, the Serbian/Yugo stocks are made of Teak, no wounder I didn't recognize the type of wood.

#15 ·
Gun show...

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. There's a gun show in town this weekend, so I'll have a good chance to do some comparative shopping. And on Sunday afternoon they come way down on prices, then I'll know how to go forward. I'm really sold on getting a Serbian M70 Zastava. I will have a high quality AK before Tuesday! Hard to wait though...:D:

#24 ·
I just got the Yugo N-PAP with black synthetic furniture from J&G Sales for $590 after shipping. It came with a 65 round drum (Romanian) and a 30 round mag. The gun itself seems to be pretty solid, but the drum will not fit in the gun... at all. And the 30 round mag fits loose so it wobbles a good bit. I spoke with the folks at J&G and they tell me sometimes the drums don't fit, and it's an issue with the mags themselves and not the gun, so they are sending another one after they check it in their other rifles in the warehouse. They told me that the 30 mag is used. Why I got a used mag, I do not know... So they are sending me a new one of those too, I asked for a polymer Tapco. I haven't shot it yet but will try and go in the next few days. If I have one single problem with it I'm sending it back for a refund, no reason I should have these issues with a brand new gun.

#26 ·
Right, I'm not yet because of the mags. But if the gun itself has an issue, then yea. From everything I read, reviews and stuff before I bought it, no one has ever had an issue with it not functioning with normal mags, but I've never heard of a drum. Gonna head to the range now, will let y'all know this evening how it went. If all goes well it was a really good deal.

#27 ·
Ok, so... I took it to the range and put 60 rounds through it, 20 Tula, 20 Brown Bear, and 20 Winchester. It failed 3 times. The mag they sent with it locked up once it got to the 9th round, that caused one of the fails for sure. After that I loaded 5 at a time, the other two fails the bolt got locked back before it made contact with the mag, the next time was almost all the way closed and I just had to tap it. So I went into the store part at the range and asked if I could try one of their AK mags, I tried three different polymer ones and not one of them fit, just like the drum mag, they caught on the back of the mag well.

I called Century (very rude customer service) they told me the gun Is only under warranty until August 22nd, I purchased it on July 28th. But Century warranties their guns for a year? So the one I got is almost a year old, even though I bought it new a week and a half ago, which tells me it's definitely not a generation 3, but a 1 or 2. I called J&G again and told them that instead of just sending back the two "faulty" mags, that I'm just sending back the whole gun for a refund. This sucks, I really wanted to like this gun but this is just too much to deal with for a new rifle. I had a Norinco about 10 years ago and never had one single issue with that gun, wish I still had it. This was my first and last experience with Century Arms. Not trying to say they are terrible guns, I'm glad some people have had good luck with em, I'm just saying may personal experience was terrible.

#33 ·
I REALLY wanted to like this rifle, at $570 plus shipping with a free drum mag, man that would've been a great deal too! I remember buying good AK's back in the day for $250 - $350. My Norinco was around $300, that gun was a workhorse and never gave me an issue, but it got stolen in a move.

I possibly just lucked out and found this Saiga for only $100 more than I put into the Century rifle I'm returning, plus this one already has a lot of custom work I would've wanted to do anyway, the stock kit alone he put on it is around $200, forward trigger, threaded barrel, armor finish and he has a bullet guide for me. Going to check it out in a few hours, wish me luck!

#35 ·
Unfortunately that stupid war was good only for few people that get rich in privatization of national companies, while ordinary people suffered a lot. Today we have 6 countries acting like a doll in hands of EU, USA or Russia.

And to get back on topic, i was really disappointed when saw bunch of Ak melted and destroyed when Croatian army decided to get new rifles in NATO 5.56x45 caliber. Ak's were sold for only 50$ piece.Father and friends who were in war said that zastava M70 was more reliable than HK g3, and they choose it mostly. It worked perfectly under all weather conditions, even now 25 years later and 5000+ bullets fired works great, with regular servicing.

#36 ·
I ordered a new N PAP last week and it came in today

The furniture was much better than one I had handled recently. The wood on that on was like handling a 4x4. I thought for sure I was going to have to reshape mine, wrong. The wood on this one was fit much better and, while it was still a little on the heavy side it looks great. The wood looks to be Birch. Mine came with a used metal mag and a Tapco. I also had 5 new Korean made mags that I just purchased. All mags fit snugly with no wobble and I had no problems with the four that I used to fire 80 rounds. I used the 2 that came with the gun and 2 of the Korean mags. The trigger on this gun is waaaay better than most military rifles. As for accuracy, it is still an AK and shot no better or worse than most AK's. This one is regulated to shoot point of aim at 100 yards which I was very happy to see.:) The only problem that I had with it is that the bolt seems to be a little tight. If you work the action slowly it won't always close all the way. If you work the action the way you should, it works fine. No hangups during firing. So far I am very happy and will probably order another.:D:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.