Survivalist Forum banner

30-30 for home defense?

42K views 34 replies 31 participants last post by  FarmerJohn 
#1 ·
What are your thoughts on this? I know overpenetration would be a huge issue in an urban neighborhood. Is there any ammo I could use to reduce the risk of collateral damage, hollowpoints maybe? I do not intend this to be my home defense weapon, I have revolvers for that. I do see myself taking it with me on remote wilderness trips. How does it compare to 44mag or 357mag as far as overpenetration goes? I like the politically correct look of an old winchester. It could come in handy in court.

#3 ·
What are your thoughts on this? I know overpenetration would be a huge issue in an urban neighborhood. Is there any ammo I could use to reduce the risk of collateral damage, hollowpoints maybe?
Not really. Not for 30-30. There are frangible rounds for 7.62x39 and .223 that work better for HD but I don't think they make a round nose version that would suit a tubular mag.

I do not intend this to be my home defense weapon, I have revolvers for that. I do see myself taking it with me on remote wilderness trips. How does it compare to 44mag or 357mag as far as overpenetration goes? I like the politically correct look of an old winchester. It could come in handy in court.
As in not for home defense contrary to thread title?
It will sail right through the human body well out beyond 100yds.
OVER penetration is not even an issue with a 30-30.... where the bullet goes after it punches right through is.

#4 ·
IF you live levers, get a lever action and shoot 38 or 44 special rounds. .30-30 is a rifle round, it uses 3 times as much powder as handgun calibers. 2300 fps versus 1300 fps is a big difference.

Besides, optimally you should not reload for self defense. Your loads should be relatively new.

#10 ·
Get yourself a mares leg, the shorter barrel should reduce the overpenetration problem.

keep in mind that I know virtually nothing about a 30-30, I don't even know if you can get those anymore, but an experianced gunsmith or skilled civilian could probably do it without much trouble.

(Off Topic - I would rather have a new remington lever action 30-06 anyway.
sidenote - I am way the hell out in the boonies so overpenetration is a plus for me)

#16 ·
30-30 would probably look bad in court, especially if you have the option of a shotgun loaded with buckshot.
I imagine a 30-30 could over penetrate and hit someone you don't intend.

#17 ·
You guys are missing the point, it is not the type of gun that you use that will jam you up in court, it is the ammo. If you use ANY firearm and use hollow points it will be argued that you were going for the biggest wound possible, regardless if it is safer. You absolutely to cover your own must use a round such as CORBON, Glaser, and other home defense ammo to truly be able to argue clearly that your intent was to defend. All it takes is an over zealous DA to press charges. I have read of people getting jammed up for using 9mm pistols all because they were loaded with "powerful hollow point man killers".

#18 ·
First of the best rounds for the .30-30 for home defense are the following Remington 55 gr Accelerator (Cat # 3030A), Federals 125gr HP Power-Shock (Cat # 3030C) and 150gr Super-X HP (Cat #X30301).

ALL OF THE ABOVE WILL FRAGMENT ON IMPACT!!!!

It won't matter with any of the above cartridges are shot out of a 16"-24" barrel the results are the same. These bulliets are as good as it gets for the .30-30 and there available nationwide. The Federal 125gr HP getting the nod as the go to round for lighter recoil in a full bore round.

The Accelerator 55gr saboted soft point- can with the Remington blessing (Thus no idiot warning on the box) load a whole mags worth the tips are so soft they will disform and never cause a "chain fire". The round leaves the barrel faster than a .223 out of a AR. So it to will shatter in 12" of flesh.

Then theres 150gr Super-X also has a excellent track record for fragmenting. It's the constructed the way soft points and Hollow Points for the .30-30 used to be, when they first started to improve the wounding ability. It has a thin jacket versus the thick jackets of current rounds. It's not the best for larger game, but a great round for varmiting and deer. And in this case hostile erect bipeds. I'm glad to see Winchester had the smarts to keep one round in the line up, just for such a use!!!

Rifleman 336

#19 ·
Yes there are 110gr. hp in .30 cal. I have used them alot in the past, have had good luck with them, very high speed, almost too much, but overpenetration, in the normal definition, is almost nil. Although as every educated member here knows, there is always a chance for a through and through shot, regardless of what is being used. As far as 30-30 for home defense? Depends on where you live, apartment, no, rural, yes. I have one, along with the shotgun, handgun, blah blah blah. Your handgun should be used to get you to your rifle, shotgun.

#21 ·
People are way too worried about overpenetration. Most rounds miss completely, anyway. If you have a brick house, any projectile will be heavily compromised. Firearms can be dangerous, if they weren't, why would you use one for self defense? Worry about court later. As long as what you own is legal, don't sweat it. Any number of things will be used against you in court. Maybe you would be better off just not defending yourself if you're not a minority, for that matter, I mean, we can play "but...but...but" all day long. At the end of the day, I'm using the most lethal and reliable system that I legally can, to defend my life and limb.

#24 ·
Check out The Box Of Truth, Everything you ever wanted to know about ammo penetration. They test every single common round from handguns, shotguns and rifles and determine that they all penetrate through standard interior and exterior walls just fine. The truth is any round that is a good person stopper is going to go through plenty or layers of sheet rock. Surprising the 9mm and 45acp will penetrate farther than the 223.

Another point... the 357 out of a rifle isn't the same as a the 357 out or a handgun. It has energy in comparison with the 30-30 muzzle energies.

#35 ·
whats even better.

go get you some wheel weights seperate the zink and steel ones out

seperate the stickys from the clip ons and melt em into bars and then into bullets

you save a pretty penny even if you spend $35 per 5 gal bucket can get it free alot of times too but those days are comming to a end rather fast (about 120-150lbs of lead)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.