Survivalist Forum banner

No absorber with sugar?

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  MikeK 
#1 ·
I just learned your not supposed to use an o2 absorber with sugar?

I've already done some with an o2? What problems will I have with those?

#9 ·
Yes, I learned that too after my first round of preps. So this summer I started rotating out my rock sugar and rock salt. Salt is the same way.

Currently chiseling away at a 35 pound block of sugar i stored with O2 removers 4 years ago. Actually thinking of making sculptures out of it. Kind of like an ice sculpture. Set them up as centerpieces and let people whittle away.

I figure with 25 pounds you are putting it in a bucket. FYI I max the buckets. A 25 and 10 pound bag will fit.

#11 ·
Yes, I do 1 gallon bags in 5gallon buckets. I try not to bag in bulk,....like 5 gallon mylar bags(too big in my opinion),,..that way I can only open up what we can use in a couple weeks or month or so at a time without exposing the entire bucket of contents. This weekend we have 25 lbs of flour,...25 of rice,...and 25 of sugar to bag up. Also some stick spahgetti,...only 2 or 3 gallon bags,...and a couple gallons of salt.

#12 ·
In my humble opinion I think the Mylar in a food grade bucket is overkill. And since both sugar and salt are great storage items it doesn't matter if you open it and then take up to a year and a half to use. As for the salt 10 years.

But for that matter I think o2 absorbers for beans and pasta are also overkill. But I am sure MikeK will cringe when I say that.

You're like a brother to me mike.

#14 ·
Sugar and salt can never spoil or rot. All they need is to be kept dry, and bugs kept out of sugar. They'll last indefinately that way.

Pasta and such do oxidize over the years though. It just depends on how long you intend to store them for. They're plenty shelf stable for a few years. But the added protection is handy if you intend to keep them longer. I've had pasta go rancid. Same with Rice. It's also a good way to keep bugs out, and O2 absorbers are cheap anyway. And with other grains like barley, it's mandatory, or it'll go rancid in a couple years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.